Forum: Ruby Oniguruma -- when?

rubyhacker (Guest)
When does Oniguruma go into Ruby? I thought it
was "very soon" -- perhaps "already" -- but someone
said something to make me think it was "later."

Thanks,
Hal
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 7, 2005, at 12:07 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> When does Oniguruma go into Ruby? I thought it
> was "very soon" -- perhaps "already" -- but someone
> said something to make me think it was "later."

I believe the official story is Ruby 2.0.

This is because Matz is concerned about compatibility issues, I
think.  I believe he even offered to consider it sooner, if we could
put together a test suite that showed it wouldn't be too devastating
to legacy scripts.  (That's all from memory.  I could be wrong!)

This is sad, because it really is a heck of a library and I would
love to see it become the norm as soon as possible.

James Edward G. II
ptkwt (Guest)
In article <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
James Edward G. II  <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>put together a test suite that showed it wouldn't be too devastating
>to legacy scripts.  (That's all from memory.  I could be wrong!)
>
>This is sad, because it really is a heck of a library and I would
>love to see it become the norm as soon as possible.
>
>James Edward G. II

I believe you can use oniguruma now in 1.8.3 if you compile-in the
support for
the library.  I think instructions have been posted in the past.

Phil
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 7, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Phil T. wrote:

> I believe you can use oniguruma now in 1.8.3 if you compile-in the
> support for
> the library.  I think instructions have been posted in the past.

This is true.  You can.  It's just not the default yet.

James Edward G. II
akonsu (Guest)
i am sorry, what is oniguruma?
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 7, 2005, at 2:52 PM, ako... wrote:

> i am sorry, what is oniguruma?

A nice Regular Expression engine Ruby can use.  It's more full
featured than the engine used by default in the 1.8 branch.

James Edward G. II
joevandyk (Guest)
On 12/7/05, Phil T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >This is because Matz is concerned about compatibility issues, I
> I believe you can use oniguruma now in 1.8.3 if you compile-in the support for
> the library.  I think instructions have been posted in the past.

I think that's the right approach.  1.8.x releases shouldn't break
compatibility if possible.