Forum: Ruby on Rails plugin - modify routing?

ara.t.howard (Guest)
would it be kosher to make a plugin modify routing?  could the the
routing be
modified such that certain actions would be routed to a controller
__in__ the
plugin directory.  or is the the realm of engines?

regards.

-a

> would it be kosher to make a plugin modify routing?  could the the routing be
> modified such that certain actions would be routed to a controller __in__ the
> plugin directory.  or is the the realm of engines?

According to [2967] (http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/2967) you
can...  I've never seen an actual plugin that does this though.

--
rick
http://techno-weenie.net
On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Rick O. wrote:

> On 12/6/05, Ara.T.Howard <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> would it be kosher to make a plugin modify routing?  could the the routing be
>> modified such that certain actions would be routed to a controller __in__ the
>> plugin directory.  or is the the realm of engines?
>
> According to [2967] (http://dev.rubyonrails.org/changeset/2967) you
> can...  I've never seen an actual plugin that does this though.

doesn't the engine plugin do this?

-a
Engines doesn't touch routing as yet, and if the regular plugin
mechanism is going to make provisions for it then we'll piggyback on
that as much as possible (the engines plugin only exists to make up
the difference between what Rails core will provide and what our
development needs as a team demand).

That said, I've played around with routing in plugins and I couldn't
get plugins to define routes despite the change in [2967]. Maybe
someone else has had more luck?

- james