Forum: Ruby Gem install error

transfire (Guest)
trans@ubixie:/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8$ sudo gem install
calibre-basicobject
Password:
Attempting local installation of 'calibre-basicobject'
Local gem file not found: calibre-basicobject*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'calibre-basicobject'
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
    404

Any ideas?

T.
tom (Guest)
> trans@ubixie:/usr/local/lib/site_ruby/1.8$ sudo gem install
> calibre-basicobject
> Password:
> Attempting local installation of 'calibre-basicobject'
> Local gem file not found: calibre-basicobject*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'calibre-basicobject'
> ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
>     404

Hm, I was able to install it just now... perhaps the mirror was down for
a moment or two... are you able to install it now?

Yours,

Tom
rosco (Guest)
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:54:18 -0000, Tom C.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> a moment or two... are you able to install it now?
>
> Yours,
>
> Tom

(not complaining!)

I've seen this on a few gems over the past few days, too, on several
Gems.
I just got the same error as above, then immediately reissued the
command
and got calibre-basicobject-1.0.0 (+ facets-2005.10.30) installed. I'd
say
it happened roughly one in four times I used Gems over the past week,
but
only once persisted for more than a moment.

I wonder if one of the mirrors has lost some files or something (with it
being a 404) ?
transfire (Guest)
Okay, I tried it three more time (after the three before) and it
finally worked. Hope you can figure out the issue and fix, it's rather
irksome.

Thanks,
T.
rosco (Guest)
On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 16:58:45 -0000, I somehow managed to post:

> I've seen this on a few gems over the past few days, too, on several
> Gems.

I'm not actually drunk, I just sound it.
tom (Guest)
> Okay, I tried it three more time (after the three before) and
> it finally worked.

Super!

> Hope you can figure out the issue and fix,
> it's rather irksome.

Hm, maybe I need to set up some sort of mirror monitoring thingy...

Yours,

Tom
tom (Guest)
> I wonder if one of the mirrors has lost some files or
> something (with it
> being a 404) ?

It's odd... because the files are just rsync'd from one machine to
another and then a mirror is selected via a RewriteMap [1].  I just
manually hit all the mirrors and they seem to be fine... but something
must be going awry somewhere.

Anyhow, thanks for the additional data!

Yours,

Tom

[1]
http://tomcopeland.blogs.com/juniordeveloper/2005/...
jpb (Guest)
In article <00da01c5f9c4$a6f3f800$0301a8c0@TOMHP>,
 "Tom C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > I wonder if one of the mirrors has lost some files or
> > something (with it
> > being a 404) ?
>
> It's odd... because the files are just rsync'd from one machine to
> another and then a mirror is selected via a RewriteMap [1].  I just
> manually hit all the mirrors and they seem to be fine... but something
> must be going awry somewhere.

Oddly, I just got a 300 Error

[jpb@athena:~/src]$ sudo gem update
Password:
Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of gruff
Attempting remote installation of 'gruff'
ERROR:  While executing gem ... (OpenURI::HTTPError)
    300 Multiple Choices
       10.67 real         4.17 user         0.35 sys
[jpb@athena:~/src]$

This happened both while I was out using T-Mobile's network and at home
with Time-Warner cable.

jpb

--
Joe B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>