Forum: Ruby Filling PDF Forms

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Kevin O. <> (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 06:52
Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
pfharlock (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 18:04
(Received via mailing list)
Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
>
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/
Kevin O. (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 19:05
pfharlock wrote:
> Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
>> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
>>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/

While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

To clarify... I have a pre-existing PDF file which has various form
fields defined within it.  I would like to automatically fill the
defined form fields with data from a database and provide the completed
file for download to the end user.

As near as I can tell from reading the manual, PDF::Writer does not
support forms in this fashion.

I really don't want to regenerate the entire form from scratch.

_Kevin
halostatue (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 19:14
(Received via mailing list)
On 12/5/05, Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> pfharlock wrote:
> > Kevin O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> Are there any Ruby utilities out there for filling out PDF forms?
> >> I have PDF form that I would like to populate from a database.
> >>
> > http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-pdf/
>
> While this is helpful, it does not solve my problem.

You are correct. I am not sure when or if this will be possible with
PDF::Writer. You may want to look around the Adobe developer website,
because there are indications that it may be possible with other
means. I just haven't investigated it so far.

-austin
unknown (Guest)
on 2005-12-16 21:07
(Received via mailing list)
I'm looking for this same functionality myself. Please post if/when you
find a way to do it in Ruby.

Thanks-
Michael
unknown (Guest)
on 2005-12-31 13:06
(Received via mailing list)
Just to follow up on this...

I ended up using iText which is a Java library. Filling in the form
fields was a piece of cake!
http://www.lowagie.com/iText/

After writing my own wrapper to iText I then connected it to Ruby using
RJB
http://arton.no-ip.info/collabo/backyard/?RubyJavaBridge
This bridge was also very easy to configure and use.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.