Forum: Ruby on Rails semi-OT: Is there an NNTP accessible version of this list?

jpb (Guest)
Joe B. wrote:
> The list volume is getting to be too much to handle easily in email - is
> this mailing list gatewayed to a newsgroup someplace publicly accessible
> so I can use a scoring newsreader to try and keep up?

Yes, the mailing list can be accessed, both for reading and posting,
through a Usenet news reader, at

ray (Guest)
>> accessible so I can use a scoring newsreader to try and keep up?
>
> Yes, the mailing list can be accessed, both for reading and posting,
> through a Usenet news reader, at

Don't do anything irrevocable though. The gmane interface is not so
great.

You have to confirm that you are posting on every post. I.e. post,
receive e-mail with a link, click on link (or reply) and your post is
submitted to gmane.

Then there is sometimes a second step where some postings from gmane
have to be approved for the mailing list and this doesn't necessarily
happen soon, or at all.

--

Ray
mrj (Guest)
Ray B. wrote:

> receive e-mail with a link, click on link (or reply) and your post is
> submitted to gmane.

Through Mozilla it works for me just like a normal newsgroup
(only with mangled e-mail addresses).

> Then there is sometimes a second step where some postings from gmane
> have to be approved for the mailing list and this doesn't necessarily
> happen soon, or at all.

Other than the few times the mailing list has had problems, I've not
noticed much delay before my posts appear on the group.  Is there
really some moderation going on?

steve (Guest)
> so I can use a scoring newsreader to try and keep up?

If your MUA supports threading it should be just as manageable as any
newsgroup.  That solves most of the problem.

Second, use a filter, such as procmail, to chunk it off into its own
folder and read it whenever you like.

My procmail recipe:

     # Ruby on Rails mailing list
     :0:

Works great from me.. I frequently use Thunderbird (Win32), Mail.app (OS
X), and PINE (FreeBSD) MUAs.

--Steve
pesterhazy (Guest)
Ray B. schrieb:
> Don't do anything irrevocable though. The gmane interface is not so great.
>
> You have to confirm that you are posting on every post. I.e. post,
> receive e-mail with a link, click on link (or reply) and your post is
> submitted to gmane.

In my experience, it works just fine. You only have to authenticate once
per _group_ (mailing list). Having doing this, you can use the gateway
just like a regular newsgroup (it's fast, too!).

Cheers,
Paulus

ps, this is posted through news.gmane.org
ray (Guest)
Mark Reginald J. wrote:

> Other than the few times the mailing list has had problems, I've not
> noticed much delay before my posts appear on the group.  Is there
> really some moderation going on?

When I posted the message that you are replying to, I received this
response:

> Either the message will get posted to the list, or you will receive
> notification of the moderator's decision.  If you would like to cancel
> this posting, please visit the following URL:

http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/confirm/rails...

Visiting that url, 16 hours after posting, implies that the message is
still being held for moderator approval.

If there is an error in my configuration, I'd appreciated any
suggestions.

Thunderbird version 1.5 Beta 1 (20050908)
Mac OS X 10.4.3
Subscribed to gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails on news.gmane.orn

The e-mail address that I am using for posting hasn't changed.
Possibly relevant, that e-mail address is approved for posting to the
main mail list but I have set it to not receive mail directly from the
list.

Do you know that your messages are appearing on the mail list?

--
Ray
pesterhazy (Guest)
Ray B. schrieb:
 > If there is an error in my configuration, I'd appreciated any
suggestions.

> Thunderbird version 1.5 Beta 1 (20050908)
> Mac OS X 10.4.3
> Subscribed to gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails on news.gmane.orn

I suppose it is some kind of misconfiguration as it works for me, using
thunderbird 1.0.7 (as well as earlier versions) on Ubuntu Linux. Maybe
try to set you mail account and news account to the exact same From:
name/address, or reregister at gmane.

For the rails list (as opposed to ruby-lang I think), it's not necessary
to be subscribed (silently) to be able to post.

Cheers,
Paulus

(if you read this, you know messages appear on the mailing list)
jpb (Guest)
On Dec 3, 2005, at 7:37 PM, Mark Reginald J. wrote:

> Joe B. wrote:
>> The list volume is getting to be too much to handle easily in
>> email - is this mailing list gatewayed to a newsgroup someplace
>> publicly accessible so I can use a scoring newsreader to try and
>> keep up?
>
> Yes, the mailing list can be accessed, both for reading and posting,
> through a Usenet news reader, at

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.

jpb
--
Joe B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they
should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of
independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would
include their own government.
  - George Washington
THUFIR H. (Guest)
on 2012-03-26 11:28
ray wrote in post #7519:
[...]
> Don't do anything irrevocable though. The gmane interface is not so
> great.
>
> You have to confirm that you are posting on every post. I.e. post,
> receive e-mail with a link, click on link (or reply) and your post is
> submitted to gmane.
>
> Then there is sometimes a second step where some postings from gmane
> have to be approved for the mailing list and this doesn't necessarily
> happen soon, or at all.

Or, you could just use a newsreader, which, presumably, is what the OP
was after -- gmane.* groups.  It's an e-mail => nntp gateway, the web
interface isn't really necessary at all.

The approval stuff is at the mercy of the list admin for the list.
Michael P. (Guest)
On 26 March 2012 08:28, THUFIR H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Or, you could just use a newsreader, which, presumably, is what the OP
> was after -- gmane.* groups. It's an e-mail => nntp gateway, the web
> interface isn't really necessary at all.

??? Is this night of the living dead thread?
7 years old... do you think the OP is still watching for your answer?!
;-)