Forum: Ruby RubyCocoa question

ezra (Guest)
Hey list-

  Does anyone have an example of using rubycocoa to create a simple
app that can display a file open dialog or sheet and then return a
stirng of the file path to ruby so I can do some text processing on
it? I would really appreciate some pointers. I couldn't find anything
that deals with files in the sample programs.

Thanks-

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
logancapaldo (Guest)
On Nov 16, 2005, at 5:39 PM, Ezra Z. wrote:
> -Ezra Z.
> Yakima Herald-Republic

See the NSOpenPanel documentation. I haven't used RubyCocoa much but
I would imagine it would look like

require 'osx/cocoa'

opanel = OSX::NSOpenPanel.openPanel
opanel.runModalForDirectory_file_types_(nil, nil, nil)
results = opanel.URLs
anne (Guest)
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/10/12/cocoa.html

see def addFile

the whole thing can be downloaded (see end of tutorial) so you can see
how it works.
rf.oodanaw (Guest)
anne001 wrote:
> http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2004/10/12/cocoa.html
>
> see def addFile
>
> the whole thing can be downloaded (see end of tutorial) so you can see
> how it works.

Note that that particular demo (a GUI to the tar comamnd) is missing one
step of configuration.
You need to connect the NSTableView to the Controller Instance using the
dataSource outlet from the NSTableView.
J-P
ezra (Guest)
On Nov 18, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Jaypee wrote:

> dataSource outlet from the NSTableView.
> J-P

	Thanks for the help to everyone who replied. I was able to get up
and running with the app I needed to create. RubyCocoa is very cool.

	I have one more question about rubycocoa. Is there any way to bundle
a ruby interpreter inside the .app bundle so my app can run on
another OS X machine without ruby installer? Is there a built in way
to do this with rubycocoa? Or would rubyscript2exe work to do this
somehow?

Thanks for any feedback-

Cheers-

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
tanner.burson (Guest)
On 11/18/05, Ezra Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Note that that particular demo (a GUI to the tar comamnd) is
> and running with the app I needed to create. RubyCocoa is very cool.
>

> I have one more question about rubycocoa. Is there any way to bundle
> a ruby interpreter inside the .app bundle so my app can run on
> another OS X machine without ruby installer? Is there a built in way
> to do this with rubycocoa? Or would rubyscript2exe work to do this
> somehow?
>
> Thanks for any feedback-

This is just wild speculation but you could build a prefix'd install of
ruby
and rubycocoa on your machine, and put it into your app bundle. Then
write a
little shell script that launches ruby and your script and use that as
what
the bundle calls to start your app. Again, I haven't actually TRIED this
approach, but in theory it should work :)

Cheers-