Forum: Ruby on Rails url_for_file_column outputting "/development" in the url

ol1barn3s (Guest)
url_for_file_column("product", "picture")

is outputting

/product/picture/development/13/4.jpg

but the file is here

/product/picture/13/4.jpg

(using 0.3.1 tag)

trying to figure out from the plugin code what could be causing this,
but so far no luck...

any help'd be greatly appreciated

tks
Oliver
ol1barn3s (Guest)
anyone?

2005/12/2, Oliver B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
skanthak (Guest)
On 12/2/05, Oliver B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> (using 0.3.1 tag)
huh, strage. That shouldn't happen. What does <%=
@product.picture_relative_path %> produce?

Sebastian
ol1barn3s (Guest)
hi sebastian,
indeed strange, after starting locomotive again just now to try <%=
@product.picture_relative_path %>, it started displaying normally...
feels as though it was just messin with me :P
thanks for your response though
- Oliver

2005/12/4, Sebastian K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
aroth (Guest)
on 2005-12-05 22:10
ol1barn3s wrote:
> url_for_file_column("product", "picture")
>
> is outputting
>
> /product/picture/development/13/4.jpg
>
> but the file is here
>
> /product/picture/13/4.jpg
>
> (using 0.3.1 tag)
>
> trying to figure out from the plugin code what could be causing this,
> but so far no luck...
>
> any help'd be greatly appreciated
>
> tks
> Oliver

I also had that occur once when I installed a branch version of
file_column from SVN. I figured maybe my rails install was dirty so I
checked out a newer version and everything worked fine.
ol1barn3s (Guest)
go figure...

you using kyle's branch? how is it working for you?

2005/12/5, aroth <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
skanthak (Guest)
On 12/5/05, aroth <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > (using 0.3.1 tag)
> I also had that occur once when I installed a branch version of
> file_column from SVN. I figured maybe my rails install was dirty so I
> checked out a newer version and everything worked fine.

oh, yes. I believe kyle was experimenting with a naming scheme like
this in his branch. Oliver, are you absolutely sure you were using the
0.3.1 tag?

Sebastian
ol1barn3s (Guest)
hi sebastian, sorry I took so long to respond.

yes, I installed it twice, one using script/plugin and the other just
copying over the install I was using for another project, which was
also 0.3.1

2005/12/6, Sebastian K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
kyle (Guest)
Yeah, that looks like a url that would be used in my *experimental*
branch.  Does anyone want me to tag a stable version?

But yes, if you think about it, you should have separate file_column
folders for each database (and therefore environment) you use.  (And
if, like me, you use the Globalize plugin, each locale)  You don't
really want your unit tests overwriting your development files.  Most
of us can get away with a single folder, because our production
environment is on a different computer, but I wouldn't consider it a
best practice.

Kyle
Oliver B. (Guest)
that´d be great. but so, is this not going to make it into the next main
release?

2005/12/8, Kyle M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Sebastian K. (Guest)
On 12/12/05, Oliver B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> that´d be great. but so, is this not going to make it into the next main
> release?

you can easily achieve a storage path that depends on your environment
by using the root_path option like this:

   file_column :image, :root_path => "#{RAILS_ROOT}/public/#{RAILS_ENV}"

The next version will include an easy way to set the root_path globally.

Sebastian
Abdur-Rahman A. (Guest)

What is that 'easy way', to what are you referring to in edgerails?
Kyle M. (Guest)
file_column is a third-party plugin, so edgerails hash nothing to do
with it.  You might find the changes in the file_column trunk at
http://opensvn.csie.org/rails_file_column/plugins/...,
or they might not be there yet.
Oliver B. (Guest)
thanks sebastian.

just curious also, is view magick processing going to be in the next
release?