Cannot build IronRuby or IronPython MSI's

I did a git pull today of IronLanguages\main, and noticed a giant stack
of
changes on December 30, 31 and Jan 1 - which look like they’re related
Win8 and Mango, amongst other things.

I’m trying to build the IronRuby installer - the process also builds the
IronPython installer along with it.

It ( msbuild /p:Configuration=Release Installer.proj ) now fails with
several errors:

1 - IronRubyTools.dll fails to build. It complains about "A reference
was
created to embedded interop assembly ‘…\VSLangProj.dll’

  • I fixed this by setting Embed Interop Types = false on that reference
    (what happened to break this??)

2 - The build now fails because it couldn’t find silverlight 4 dll’s,
whereas it used to work (did it used to reference silverlight 3 which
ships with VS2010??).

  • I fixed the error by installing the silverlight 4 SDK

3 - Two proj files have gone missing:

c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\Msi\Installer.proj(23,9): error MSB3202: The
project file “Python\Chm\IronPython.Chm.proj” was not found.
c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\Msi\Installer.proj(23,9): error MSB3202: The
project file “Python\Msi\IronPython.Msi.wproj” was not found.

It seems these have vanished??
I tried to work around this by manually building only
Ruby\Msi\IronRuby.Msi.wproj

4 - This now fails with
c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\Msi\Ruby\Msi\Silverlight.wxi(14): error
CNDL0150: Undefined preprocessor variable ‘$(var.OutputPath)’.
[c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\Msi\Ruby\Msi\IronRuby.Msi.wproj]

It looks like that Wxi file hasn’t changed recently, so presumably
something else is ruining the outpath?

  • I fixed this by editing IronRuby.wxs and removing all mention of
    silverlight… This is fine for me, as I don’t want to go near
    silverlight, but others may require a better solution :slight_smile:

5 - Now there’s a bunch of errors all like this:

c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\Msi\Ruby\Msi\IronRuby.wxs(92): error
LGHT1055:
The InstallExecuteSequence table contains an
action ‘NetFxScheduleNativeImage’ which cannot be merged from the merge
module ‘c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\bin\Release
\IrbRedist.msm’. This action is likely colliding with an action in the
database that is being created. The colliding
action may have been authored in the database or merged in from another
merge module. If this is a standard action, it
is likely colliding due to a difference in the condition for the action
in the database and merge module. If this is
a custom action, it should only be declared in the database or one merge
module. [c:\Dev\ironlanguages-main\Msi\Ruby\Ms
i\IronRuby.Msi.wproj]

This is where I give up…

The giant stack of changes mostly came from Tomas M. / JDHardy /
couple of other IronPython devs… Would one of those people mind please
having a look at this?

Thanks, Orion

Yes, the installer is broken. Jeff is working on some better installer
building scripts. I’m not sure what the status is atm.

Tomas

I did a git pull today of IronLanguages\main, and noticed a giant stack
of changes on December 30, 31 and Jan 1 - which look like they’re
related to Win8 and Mango, amongst other things.

[...]

The IronPython ones should be working, and nothing I did should change
IronRuby’s installer builds. However, the old build script may
reference IronPython installers that no longer exist.

  • Jeff

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM, Tomas M.