Forum: Ruby on Rails ROR on solaris?

shaun (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 18:43
Can someone tell me if ruby on rails will run on solarisx86. And if so,
do you know where I might find some instructions for installing it on
solaris. I have been unable to find very much information in regards to
this.

-Shaun
joevandyk (Guest)
On 11/30/05, shaun <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Can someone tell me if ruby on rails will run on solarisx86. And if so,
> do you know where I might find some instructions for installing it on
> solaris. I have been unable to find very much information in regards to
> this.

If Ruby runs on Solaris, which I'm pretty sure it does, then Rails
should work on Solaris (as it's pure Ruby).
hgs (Guest)
On Wed, 30 Nov 2005, shaun wrote:

> Can someone tell me if ruby on rails will run on solarisx86. And if so,

I don't see why not.  You can get compilers for C from
sunfreeware.com, so building ruby should be no problem, and then
rubygems and so rails should install without too much trouble.

> do you know where I might find some instructions for installing it on
> solaris. I have been unable to find very much information in regards to

Well, I'm using it on sun-sparc-solaris2.9, if that's worth knowing.
> this.
>
> -Shaun

        Hugh
aly.dharshi (Guest)
Hello All,

	I would suggest http://www.blastwave.org for the ruby pkg, then install
gem
from source. Its pretty much painless once you have installed gem. Its a
simple
thing to instal RoR. If blastwave doesn't support X86 Solaris, then you
can head
over to Sun.com and download for free their Sun Studio 11. This has a
C/C++
compiler which you can use to compile ruby.

	Cheers,

	Aly.

Joe Van D. wrote:

Aly S.P Dharshi
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

	 "A good speech is like a good dress
	  that's short enough to be interesting
	  and long enough to cover the subject"
orsini (Guest)
On Nov 30, 2005, at 8:43 AM, shaun wrote:

> Can someone tell me if ruby on rails will run on solarisx86. And if so,
> do you know where I might find some instructions for installing it on
> solaris. I have been unable to find very much information in regards to
> this.

Looks like there's an x86 ruby-1.8.3 package for you on sunfreeware.com.

Rob
jasonlee9 (Guest)
I'm also interested in this as this is the target for my ROR project
deployment. I have a new x2100 that I haven't setup yet, so if anyone
runs into any issues deploying on x86, I would appreciate knowing.
Also, I did see the sunfreeware.com Ruby 1.8.3 announcement. :)

-- jason
jamie (Guest)
I had a look for the helluvit and found on

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/freeware/

that it comes with ruby 1.6.4, so you'd need to upgrade to 1.8.2 or 3
to run rails, I believe.

Jamie
leonleslie (Guest)
I am on sun-sparc-solaris2.9 without any problems..

ruby-1.8.3 -don't use the one from http://www.blastwave.org
fredjean (Guest)
Blastwave is still at 1.8.1 (last time I checked.) I ended up
compiling Ruby 1.8.3 on my S10 (sparc) workstation, installed gems and
then completed the installation of rails through gems. It's working
pretty good so far. I don't see any issues with doing the same with an
x86 box (maybe I should try it in the lab.)

Fred

--
Frederic J.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid