Forum: Ruby on Rails Anybody home ?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
De R. (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 07:45
Hi,
   I have been posting to this board many times and have gotten no
answer or feedback. I am wondering if my post are making it in one
piece.
   Can anyone reply to this post so I will know weither no one knows the
answers to my questions or I am just being blown off...

Many thanks !!
Jarkko L. (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 08:14
(Received via mailing list)
Came through.

//jarkko
De R. (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 08:18
Thank you !! I was begining to wonder...

jarkko wrote
> Came through.
>
> //jarkko
subimage (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 08:55
(Received via mailing list)
I've been wondering the same thing. I posted 2 messages inquiring about
transactions in the past day and have had nothing show up. Is the list
moderated?
Jarkko L. (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 09:23
(Received via mailing list)
On 30.11.2005, at 8.53, subimage interactive wrote:

> I've been wondering the same thing. I posted 2 messages inquiring
> about transactions in the past day and have had nothing show up. Is
> the list moderated?

No, but afaik GMail doesn't show you messages you sent yourself.

//jarkko
mpalmer (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 09:51
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 06:45:33AM +0100, KiteSurfer KiteSurfer wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have been posting to this board many times and have gotten no
> answer or feedback. I am wondering if my post are making it in one
> piece.

This one made it through, although I don't know about any others you
might
have posted.  There should be list archives at
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo/rails so you can see if
your
other posts are making it through.

>    Can anyone reply to this post so I will know weither no one knows the
> answers to my questions or I am just being blown off...

I read a good article on this sort of thing a while ago, unfortunately I
don't think I saved the URL anywhere.  It classified reasons why people
don't reply, into categories like "I don't know", "It's trivial", "Too
busy", "Not enough info provided", "Question too broad", and such.
Perhaps
you're falling into one of those categories?  Unless you've done
something
to seriously piss a lot of people off, it's unlikely to be any sort of
personal vendetta against you.

- Matt

--
How about "suspender snapping three martini lunching mahogany tabled
conference room equipped with overhead projector dwelling golden
parachute
flying bill gates specifying buzzword spewing computerworld and
datamation
reading trend bandwagoneering meeting going morons".  -- Tom O'Toole
obiefernandez (Guest)
on 2005-11-30 10:52
(Received via mailing list)
It's also pretty difficult for those of us that can probably best
answer your questions to keep up with the list since it's so
high-traffic (and we're so busy.)

I read at most 5-10 threads/day on this list.

obie
brucebalmer (Guest)
on 2005-12-01 08:00
(Received via mailing list)
Hi:

I had a question ignored by everyone recently. Unfortunate because I
really could use the answer.  That said, I have total sympathy for
how busy people are and how many questions are arriving. As a noobie,
I have answered a few questions that were sufficiently simple. I
wonder if the list might usefully be broken into categories such as
ajax, moron level, intermediate level, genius level questions.  For
instance, I could not read anything from genius level as I would
neither be able to contribute to the answers nor understand the
questions.  I have not given this great thought, nor do I have much
experience of these lists - so feel free to dis my thought, if you like.

I'd also like to express support for the list and say that I have had
some great quick and clear answers to questions and it has saved me a
lot of time. Nothing is perfect, so I just look for good.  And this
list is good.

bruce
De R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-01 08:23
Hi Bruce,

   I disagree about the categories. I am new to ruby and rails myself. I
think the great thing about this board is the variety of topics and
expertise levels. Being able to see the various postings even if I don't
grasp the answers is an asset should we ever run into similar situation
in our new rails incarnations...
skaes (Guest)
on 2005-12-01 12:23
(Received via mailing list)
bruce balmer wrote:

> questions.  I have not given this great thought, nor do I have much
> experience of these lists - so feel free to dis my thought, if you like.

Moderation of this list is beyond anyone's capacity, so you'd need to
establish an etiquette using self qualification in the subject line, but
I wonder who'd qualify himself as moron by adding [MORON] to it :-)

I don't think this can work.

>
> I'd also like to express support for the list and say that I have had
> some great quick and clear answers to questions and it has saved me a
> lot of time. Nothing is perfect, so I just look for good.  And this
> list is good.
>
we try our best,

-- stefan

http://railsexpress.de/blog
ezra (Guest)
on 2005-12-01 17:37
(Received via mailing list)
On Nov 30, 2005, at 10:23 PM, KiteSurfer KiteSurfer wrote:

> Hi Bruce,
>
>    I disagree about the categories. I am new to ruby and rails
> myself. I
> think the great thing about this board is the variety of topics and
> expertise levels. Being able to see the various postings even if I
> don't
> grasp the answers is an asset should we ever run into similar
> situation
> in our new rails incarnations...


	I would hate to see the list broken up into categories. I have been
reading this list for almost a year now and just by trying to read
most of the messages and trying to get my head around the ones I
don't understand I have learned a ton of stuff about rails. I dare
say that most of what I know is from just trying to absorb the great
info on this list, especially the stuff that I don't understand. I
know that there is a lot more traffic on the list these days but with
a threaded email client or the rforum for the rails and ruby-talk
lists you can just read what you are interested in. But I urge you to
try to grok some of the posts you don't 'get'. It will make you a
better rails developer in the end.


Cheers-

-Ezra Z.
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
509-577-7732
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.