Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: validates_format_of

adam.groves (Guest)
Thanks for the reply Ludde. The regexp works now on english characters
but
won't accept german characters (äöü�). Any ideas? Does /^\w+$/ work on
all
swedish characters?

Regards

Adam

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 01:30:08PM +0100, Adam G. wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm trying to validate a field in my form to make sure that it is a single
> word (i.e. no spaces). This word may however contain german characters.
>
> I have in my model:
>
> validates_format_of :name,
>     :with => %r{\w+},
>     :message => "cannot contain special characters or spaces"

     :with => /^\w+$/,

Will probably do what you want. ^ matches the beginning of the string
and $ matches the end.

/ludde
ludvig.omholt (Guest)
On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:44:02PM +0100, Adam G. wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Ludde. The regexp works now on english characters but
> won't accept german characters (äöü�). Any ideas? Does /^\w+$/ work on all
> swedish characters?

Actually it doesn't match swedish characters when I try it in irb. I
would probably solve the problem by using a bracket expression listing
all acceptable characters:

/^[A-Za-z���äöü�]+$/

/ludde