Forum: Ruby on Rails acts_as_hash

List R. (Guest)
on 2005-11-29 05:46
Anyone work on, or interested in, a acts_as_hash?

It would allow things like

product.properties['isbn'] = 32232323
product.properties['color'] = 'blue'
product.save
id = product.id

p = Product.find(id)
p['color'] #=> 'blue'

Product.hashfind_by_properties('isbn', 32232323) #=> p

It's useful when the properties you need to store are always changing,
so you can't use field mapping, but you want to query by them, and so
can't use serializable.

Comments?  Suggestions?  Criticisms?
garrick.vanburen (Guest)
I think this already exists as :serialize

Or at least, it works for my purposes.

--

--
Garrick Van Buren
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

gFeed - all my writing in one place
http://garrickvanburen.com/gfeed/

PodcastMN - The Sound of Minnesota
http://podcastmn.com/

Garrick's Podcast Picks
http://gigadial.com/public/station/9454
List R. (Guest)
on 2005-11-29 06:51
garrick.vanburen wrote:
> I think this already exists as :serialize

You can't do SQL queries by fields of :serialize .  You need to
instantiate all the objects into Ruby, and check them one by one, which
is slow (although it can be done in one line of code).
david.felstead (Guest)
I've jsut made a blog post on a quick-and-dirty way to do the querying
using the 'serialize' column:

http://www.karmiccoding.com/articles/2005/11/29/qu...

Not brilliant, and more or less untested, but better than pulling all
of the data from the server and parsing it application side.  Very
simple to turn into a plugin, too.

Cheers!

-DF
peter.j.donald (Guest)

As far as I know there is no one working on this but I would love to
see an addition like this to rails.

--
Cheers,

Peter D.