Forum: Ruby Ruby/Tk and MacOS X framework

nagai (Guest)

I want to ask one question to MacOS X users.

When --with-tcltk-framework configure option is given,
current (1.8.4 and 1.9) 'ext/tk/extconf.rb' searches
Tcl.framework and Tk.framework from "/Library/Frameworks"
at first, and next searchs from "/System/Library/Frameworks".

My question is "Is the order proper? Or should it be in reverse?".
I need comments from MacOS X users.
James G. (Guest)
On Nov 28, 2005, at 9:18 PM, Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:

> I need comments from MacOS X users.
/System/... is the location of Apple's version, on the latest OS
(Tiger).  User's could install in /Library/... or even ~/Library/...,
so I think your order is probably okay.

James Edward G. II
nagai (Guest)
From: James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Subject: Re: Ruby/Tk and MacOS X framework
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:24:47 +0900
> /System/... is the location of Apple's version, on the latest OS
> (Tiger).  User's could install in /Library/... or even ~/Library/...,
> so I think your order is probably okay.

Thank you. I'll keep the order.
I have one more question.
Should I add a new path and use the following search order?

[
  "/Library/Frameworks",
  "/Network/Library/Frameworks",  # <=== the new path
  "/System/Library/Frameworks"
]

# I think that I should not add "~/Library/Frameworks".
# Is the judgement right?
James G. (Guest)
On Nov 30, 2005, at 8:12 PM, Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:

>   "/Network/Library/Frameworks",  # <=== the new path

Hmm, I wasn't aware of this alias until you pointed it out.  I'll let
someone with more knowledge of its purpose answer that.

> # I think that I should not add "~/Library/Frameworks".
> # Is the judgement right?

Well, it is a legal place to install.  The OS itself would check it...

James Edward G. II
nagai (Guest)
From: James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 23:00:36 +0900
> >   "/Network/Library/Frameworks",  # <=== the new path
> Hmm, I wasn't aware of this alias until you pointed it out.  I'll let
> someone with more knowledge of its purpose answer that.

I found it in 'configure' script of Tcl/Tk Extension.
If the path is standard and important, it'll have to be added.
So, I asked about it.

> > # I think that I should not add "~/Library/Frameworks".
> > # Is the judgement right?
>
> Well, it is a legal place to install.  The OS itself would check it...

By default, I think, 'configure' should search general pathes
except pathes under the home of a certain user.
Because, if depends on a certain user's home, the compiled binary
may not work for other users.
Don't you think so?
M.B.Smillie (Guest)
On Dec 2, 2005, at 7:31, Hidetoshi NAGAI wrote:
> may not work for other users.
> Don't you think so?
> --
> Hidetoshi NAGAI (removed_email_address@domain.invalid)

~/Library/Frameworks is there for users who don't have the
administrative powers to install to /Library/Frameworks, so it's a
good place to check.  Presumably the user would also be installing
Ruby within their own space as well, so I'm not sure that the binary
not working for other users would be particularly important in that
case.

matthew smillie.
nagai (Guest)
From: Matthew S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 01:34:30 +0900
> ~/Library/Frameworks is there for users who don't have the
> administrative powers to install to /Library/Frameworks, so it's a
> good place to check.  Presumably the user would also be installing
> Ruby within their own space as well, so I'm not sure that the binary
> not working for other users would be particularly important in that
> case.

Hmm...
In such case, the user will give the configure option about the
install directory of the binaries. And then, it is not difficult
to give the option about the framework directory.
If the installed binaries work for only the user who install them,
I think that is a larger problem.