Forum: Ruby on Rails newbie question: HTTP 500 0 errors - no output to browser

esloane (Guest)
I asked this question a day or so ago - heres an update.

I'm following the "Agile Web D. with RAils" book and
succesfully built
the application therein. I've been banging my head against a wall for a
few days
trying to set up an app of my own following the same procedures as used
in the
book. All I get are 500 0 errors from WEBrick and nothing in the
browser. So..
Ihave a project in d:\ruby\projects\wf. I have three wf databases,
_development,
etc.. I scaffolded a model, view, controller on the users table. I try
to access
this at http://localhost:3000/user/list and up comes 500 0 again. Now
the
development log shows nil. I open a console and type User.find_all and
up comes
my data. The dev log now shows  " User Columns (0.000000)
SHOW FIELDS FROM users
  User Load (0.000000)   SELECT * FROM users
  User Columns (0.016000)   SHOW FIELDS FROM users
  User Load (0.000000)   SELECT * FROM users "
WTF is going on here?? As I understand it - the output from console
should be
the same as output to the browser? Please help - my head hurts and the
wall
doesn't look too good either!

Kind Regards,
Eric.
james.adam (Guest)
Try deleting all your sessions - if you traced the execution path
you'd probably find that Rails was throwing a fit about not being able
to load objects from the session.

Sessions are stored in /tmp/ruby-sess.* or something quite like it on
*nix/MacOS X - They're in some hideously hidden M$ directory structure
under Documents and Settings on Windows.

- james
justin (Guest)
James A. wrote:

> Try deleting all your sessions - if you traced the execution path
> you'd probably find that Rails was throwing a fit about not being able
> to load objects from the session.
>
> Sessions are stored in /tmp/ruby-sess.* or something quite like it on
> *nix/MacOS X - They're in some hideously hidden M$ directory structure
> under Documents and Settings on Windows.

For me, on Windows XP, they are in C:\WINDOWS\Temp with names like
ruby_sess.2a9778de5955c4a9

regards

   Justin
esloane (Guest)
Thanks James and Craig for responding. I found the problem and it was,
as suspected, quite dumb - if a little weird. My previous projects
worked perfectly using localhost and 127.0.0.1. This one, for some
reason, required the actual computer name. Given that, everything worked
as expected.
Kind Regards,
Eric