Forum: Ruby Re: string range membership

warrenbrown (Guest)
Matz,

> Anyway, could Range#include? and Range#member? be
> changed back to a membership check and a new method
> be added to Range for interval coverage, or would
> that break too much backwards compatibility?

    Without an answer to this question, people will not know which of
the two functionalities to choose a name for.  If the answer is "yes",
then we are looking for a name for a membership check.  If the answer is
"no", then we are looking for a name for an interval inclusion test.

    Did I miss something somewhere?

    - Warren B.
matz (Guest)

In message "Re: [BUG] string range membership"
    on Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:33:05 +0900, "Warren B."
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

|> Anyway, could Range#include? and Range#member? be
|> changed back to a membership check and a new method
|> be added to Range for interval coverage, or would
|> that break too much backwards compatibility?
|
|    Without an answer to this question, people will not know which of
|the two functionalities to choose a name for.  If the answer is "yes",
|then we are looking for a name for a membership check.  If the answer is
|"no", then we are looking for a name for an interval inclusion test.

|    Did I miss something somewhere?

I'm vaguely thinking of changing #member? back to membership check,
with performance optimization for numbers.

							matz.