Forum: Ruby Ruby in Android - Android Scripting Environment

John S. (Guest)
<head>
</head>
Some news I came across, check out:
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/06/intr...
John.<br>
---<br>
The <a title="Android Scripting Environment"
 href="http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting" id="b2en">Android
Scripting Environment</a>
(ASE) brings scripting languages to Android by allowing you to edit and
execute scripts and interactive interpreters directly on the Android
device. These scripts have access to many of the APIs available to
full-fledged Android applications, but with a greatly simplified
interface that makes it easy to:<br>
<ul>
  <li>Handle intents</li>
  <li>Start activities</li>
  <li>Make phone calls</li>
  <li>Send text messages</li>
  <li>Scan <a title="bar codes" href="http://code.google.com/p/zxing"
 id="axt3">bar codes</a></li>
  <li>Poll location and sensor data</li>
  <li>Use <a title="text-to-speech"
 href="http://eyes-free.googlecode.com/" id="ecb3">text-to-speech</a>
(TTS)</li>
  <li>And <a title="more"
 href="http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/wiki"
id="dejh">more</a><br>
  </li>
</ul>
Scripts can be run interactively in a terminal, started as a long
running service, or started via <a title="Locale"
 href="http://www.androidlocale.com/" id="ugi9">Locale</a>. Python, Lua
and BeanShell are currently supported, and we're planning to add Ruby
and JavaScript support, as well.<br>
Charles N. (Guest)
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:16 AM, John
Slobbe<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Some news I came across, check out:
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.com/2009/06/intr...

The unfortunate thing about this is that those scripts will only work
from outside apps, not within apps. It doesn't sound like they're
using JVM-based versions of them, so they can only interact at a
fairly superficial level.

Hopefully we'll get a few more folks interested in JRuby on Android
this summer to tie up the remaining loose ends. Then you can actually
write and script applications with Ruby.

- Charlie