Forum: JRuby upgrade from jruby 1.2.0 to 1.3.0.

Msan M. (Guest)
I've jruby 1.2.0 and I've installed some gems.
Now I want to upgrade to jruby 1.3.0.
My gems are under /home/user/jruby-1.2.0.
Downloading jruby 1.3.0 I put it under /home/user/jruby-1.3.0
Upgrading to 1.3.0 I've to reinstall all the gems?

Well I think that is the safest way of doing things, but if you are
really
set on not reinstalling them I think you can copy your gems from one
installation to another.  If you look under /home/user/jruby-1.2.0/lib
you
should find a "ruby" folder.  If you copy this folder to your new 1.3
installation's lib directory I think you will be OK.  Someone can
correct me
if I'm wrong.

You might want to consider a different strategy long term for jruby
though,
if you use git to download your installation then it will be very easy
for
you to switch between tags in the future.  I think the guys are planning
on
a point release every month or so, it will be much faster and easier if
you
just have to switch your git repository to get the new changes instead
of
downloading the whole jruby installation each time and copying gems
around.
Just my opinion.

Joe
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Joseph A. wrote:
> Well I think that is the safest way of doing things, but if you are
> really set on not reinstalling them I think you can copy your gems from
> one installation to another.  If you look under
> /home/user/jruby-1.2.0/lib you should find a "ruby" folder.  If you copy
> this folder to your new 1.3 installation's lib directory I think you
> will be OK.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yipe, don't copy the whole ruby dir. That would overwrite stdlib updates
and fixes we ship with. You can copy over lib/ruby/gems dir to just get
gems, but since we update rubygems occasionally that may run into issues
too.

> You might want to consider a different strategy long term for jruby
> though, if you use git to download your installation then it will be
> very easy for you to switch between tags in the future.  I think the
> guys are planning on a point release every month or so, it will be much
> faster and easier if you just have to switch your git repository to get
> the new changes instead of downloading the whole jruby installation each
> time and copying gems around.  Just my opinion.

We've also talked about making an "updater" script or gem that you can
just install to get all JRuby stuff updated. It's not a high priority
given bugs and support stuff though, so it probably needs some community
help. It would basically be a gem that includes (or downloads) the jruby
bin distribution and applies it to your current JRuby, keeping gems and
such intact.

- Charlie