Forum: Ruby New to Programming: Value of gets for just "Enter"

Matt G. (Guest)
on 2009-06-07 03:50
Hello,
I am new to programming in general, and I was having a difficult time
figuring out the solution to this problem as well as thinking of good
key words that would help me find the solution online.

My problem is simply that I do not know what the value of a 'gets' that
doesn't contain anything is. I want this program to end if someone just
hits enter for the gets response, and I don't know how to represent that
in the program itself.

puts 'Enter as many words as you please, one per line. Press enter to
quit.'
array = []
input = gets.chomp.downcase
if input !=  # Not sure what should go here
  while input != # Not sure what should go here
    array.push input.capitalize
    input = gets.chomp.downcase
  end
else
end
puts array.sort

If anyone could help me out with this I would be very grateful. I am
sure there is a very simple solution, but I have been looking around
quite a bit, and have been unable to find anything.

Thanks in advance.
Rick D. (Guest)
On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 7:50 PM, Matt
Garriott<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> puts 'Enter as many words as you please, one per line. Press enter to
> puts array.sort
>
> If anyone could help me out with this I would be very grateful. I am
> sure there is a very simple solution, but I have been looking around
> quite a bit, and have been unable to find anything.

It will return an empty string

if input != ""

--
Rick DeNatale

7stud -. (Guest)
on 2009-06-08 09:47
Matt Garriott wrote:
> Hello,
> I am new to programming in general, and I was having a difficult time
> figuring out the solution to this problem as well as thinking of good
> key words that would help me find the solution online.
>
> My problem is simply that I do not know what the value of a 'gets' that
> doesn't contain anything is. I want this program to end if someone just
> hits enter for the gets response, and I don't know how to represent that
> in the program itself.

print "Enter: "
input = gets
p input

--output:--
Enter:
"\n"
7stud -. (Guest)
on 2009-06-08 09:59
7stud -- wrote:

> print "Enter: "
> input = gets
> p input
>
> --output:--
> Enter:
> "\n"

Whenever you hit Enter/Return on your keyboard, you are adding a
"newline" to the input.  A newline is signified by the string "\n".
Ken B. (Guest)
On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:59:31 +0900, 7stud -- wrote:

> Whenever you hit Enter/Return on your keyboard, you are adding a
> "newline" to the input.  A newline is signified by the string "\n".

And then the chomp  function which he calls on the string removes the \n
from the end, making it an empty string.
7stud -. (Guest)
on 2009-06-08 20:14
Ken B. wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:59:31 +0900, 7stud -- wrote:
>
>> Whenever you hit Enter/Return on your keyboard, you are adding a
>> "newline" to the input.  A newline is signified by the string "\n".
>
> And then the chomp  function which he calls on the string removes the \n
> from the end, making it an empty string.

Really?
Gabriel M. (Guest)
7stud -- wrote:
> Ken B. wrote:
>> On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:59:31 +0900, 7stud -- wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever you hit Enter/Return on your keyboard, you are adding a
>>> "newline" to the input.  A newline is signified by the string "\n".
>> And then the chomp  function which he calls on the string removes the \n
>> from the end, making it an empty string.
>
> Really?

if input.chomp.strip != ""
botp (Guest)
On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Rha7<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>