Forum: Ruby on Rails Starting an Ap: fast_xs.bundle: [BUG] Bus Error

Mr. C. (Guest)
on 2009-06-06 04:10
I'm running Ruby 1.8.7, Rails 2.3.2, and Gem 1.3.4

I'm a newb, so bare with me... I'm reading Simply Rails 2.  The book
tells me to enter:
$ rails shovell

Then,
$ sudo gem install mongrel

Then,
$cd shovell
$ruby script/server

However, when I type in that last bit, I get:

LOTS OF STUFF/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/hpricot-0.8.1/lib/fast_xs.bundle: [BUG]
Bus Error
ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [i686-darwin9.7.0]

Abort trap

I have no idea what to do from here.  I'm thinking being able to run the
server is kind of important.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Jun 6, 1:10 am, Kaela N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> $cd shovell
> I have no idea what to do from here.  I'm thinking being able to run the
> server is kind of important.
You might want to try reinstalling the hpricot gem. Maybe you built it
against a previous version of ruby ?

Fred
Mr. C. (Guest)
on 2009-06-06 16:18
> You might want to try reinstalling the hpricot gem. Maybe you built it
> against a previous version of ruby ?

I think I really screwed something up.  I deleted hpricot gem but I'm
not sure how to reinstall it. Then, I tried to reinstall ruby, rails and
gems which seemed to work a  bit better.  When I type $ ruby -v, it now
returns ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [universal-darwin9.0].
Then, I went threw the steps of installing rails, gems, and SQlite
according to "Simply Rails 2."

Now, I get to: ~/shovell $ > script/server
and then nothing happens. I just wait for the server to load.

Is there a way to reinstall ruby, rails, gems, and SQlite?  Or is there
a way to get my computer back to the state of 4 days ago?  I think I
really screwed something up when I tried upgrading to Ruby 1.8.7.

**I forgot to mention, I'm also using macOSX Leopard.