Forum: GNU Radio Re: USRP with USB/IP

Firas A. (Guest)

--- On Fri, 6/5/09, Patrick S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> ednet[1] and RaidSonic[2] sell boxes that can forward USB
> ports over via the Linux USB/IP[3] system.
>
> Patrick

From the web site the transfer rate of these boxes is 10/100Mb/s. So
theoretically it should transfer a maximum of 12.5MByte/sec which is far
below the required 32Mbyte/sec of USRP1.

Best Regards,

Firas
Patrick S. (Guest)
Firas A. schrieb on 2009-06-05 21:14:

> From the web site the transfer rate of these boxes is 10/100Mb/s.
> So theoretically it should transfer a maximum of 12.5MByte/sec which
> is far below the required 32Mbyte/sec of USRP1.

2 Points:

1) USRP is known to be able to transfer maximum 32 MByte/sec, but you do
not need to run at this data rate.

2) USB/IP is not limited to this boxes. You can forward USB connections
from a Linux box to any other Linux box. The mentioned boxes just happen
to do this as their main task. You could do USB over IP forwarding via
Gigabit Ethernet, that would give you about 100MByte raw transfer rate,
which should be sufficient for maximum USRP data rates.

Just wanted to know if anyone used something like this already. I could
get hold of one Raidsonic part, maybe I'll give it a try. I'm not shure
if USB/IP supports the transfer modes that the USRP uses.

Patrick
Patrick S. <patrick dot strasser at  tugraz dot at>
Newman, Timothy (Guest)
for
this exact thing.  I haven't actually used it, but it's been slowly
developed over the past couple years.

Tim

Newman, Timothy wrote:
> http://usbip.sourceforge.net/ is an open source project on sourceforge for
> this exact thing.  I haven't actually used it, but it's been slowly
> developed over the past couple years.

I haven't really followed this thread closely, but this seems like an
excuse to suggest this ...

We should be able to build gnuradio for this using Angstrom/OE. The
processor (although clocked at a ridiculous speed) won't be very useful
for for doing gnuradio radio signal processing, but I suspect you could
use the gr-udp blocks to send data over the network to a more capable
machine for the actual processing.

Philip