Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails Code Indentation

Sandip R. (Guest)
Hi All,

Rails code must be readable, formatted and well indented.
I wanted to do indent code in my previous projects.
Is there any built in rails plugin/gem that can help me to
indent my existing code.

Any ideas will be really appreciated !

NOTE: Please don't suggest editor plugins.

Thanks & Regards,
Sandip R~

--
Ruby on Rails Developer
http://sandip.sosblog.com
> Hi All,
>
> Rails code must be readable, formatted and well indented.
> I wanted to do indent code in my previous projects.
> Is there any built in rails plugin/gem that can help me to
> indent my existing code.
>
> Any ideas will be really appreciated !

Do you mean you want a plugin or gem that edits the file it is
interpreting?  That doesn't make sense to me.

> NOTE: Please don't suggest editor plugins.

Why not?  Any decent editor will do this for you.

Colin
JannaB (Guest)
well, eclipse wont!
Hassan S. (Guest)

Note: the man said "decent" -- eclipse is barely an editor at all... :-)

>> Why not?  Any decent editor will do this for you.

JannaB (Guest)
What do you use asa good RoR editor then?

On Jun 5, 5:22 pm, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/6/6 JannaB <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> What do you use asa good RoR editor then?

I find jEdit (with the appropriate plugins) does a pretty good job.
Available for Win and Linux.

Colin
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Colin L.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>> What do you use asa good RoR editor then?
>
> I find jEdit (with the appropriate plugins) does a pretty good job.
> Available for Win and Linux.

Actually, since it's Java-based, it runs on anything with a JVM,
including Macs. And it's incredibly configurable and extensible.

That said, I use both jEdit and NetBeans, which among other
strengths does a very nice job of reformatting raggedy code :-)

FWIW,
Colin L. (Guest)

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 6:53 AM, Colin L.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> What do you use asa good RoR editor then?
>>
>> I find jEdit (with the appropriate plugins) does a pretty good job.
>> Available for Win and Linux.
>
> Actually, since it's Java-based, it runs on anything with a JVM,
> including Macs. And it's incredibly configurable and extensible.

I thought it would likely work on Macs also, but I have no personal
experience of this so I thought it better not to say what I was not
certain of.  Usually when I do that I end up looking foolish. :)
Colin
Wayne Simacek (Guest)
On Jun 6, 8:34 am, JannaB <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> What do you use asa good RoR editor then?
>
> On Jun 5, 5:22 pm, Hassan S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM, JannaB<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > > well, eclipse wont!
>
> > Note: the man said "decent" -- eclipse is barely an editor at all... :-)

If you're really attached to eclipse, I would suggest using Aptana's
RadRails which you can install as a plugin. I started out that way,
but didn't like the extra layer of complexity eclipse added, so I blew
that out and just am using Aptana's IDE with RadRails directly. I've
also used JEdit, and with the Ruby plugins it does a lot of things
very well, but I like an IDE environment a little better (personal
choice.) --Good luck, Wayne
Mohit S. (Guest)
JannaB wrote:
> What do you use asa good RoR editor then?

NetBeans indents very well.

Cheers,
Mohit.
6/7/2009 | 11:03 AM.
Prabesh S. (Guest)
Netbeans is good for that.
Scott T. (Guest)
RubyMine has an excellent code formatter. Just write your code and Cmd-
Option-L.

Scott
Davi V. (Guest)
Em 06-06-2009 10:34, JannaB escreveu:
> What do you use asa good RoR editor then?

  What do you (all the list) think about Redcar?

http://redcareditor.com/

  I'm using it actually and thought that I can be a very good editor.

davi
Sandip R. (Guest)
Hi guys,

Thanks for your reply  !

I am using vi editor with rails.vim plugin as well as my own personal
indentation settings for my current developments.

but i think there should be plugin/gem to indent your rails application
directory LIKE annotate models plugin ( Lazy peoples ).
sorry to say but i don't wanted to indent my previous developments using
editors.

- Sandip R~

--
Ruby on Rails Developer
http://sandip.sosblog.com
http://funonrails.wordpress.com
www.joshsoftware.com
Joel C. (Guest)
on 2009-11-01 22:02
I've written a Textmate plugin that indents Ruby code (rather better
than Textmate does on it's own but not as well as Netbeans which, as
mentioned earlier in the thread does a great job).

It's all written in Ruby so would be easy enough to extract into a gem
(it's on my to do list).

You can see it all here
http://github.com/mocoso/code-beautifier.tmbundle

If anyone's interested in using a gem based on this then say (and maybe
that'll poke me to get it done).

J.
Sandip R. (Guest)
Hi Joel,

Thanks for the plugin !
I would like to use it but i am working on ubuntu machine and
textmate works with mac. meanwhile i found rails.vim script for
vim that solved my auto indentation problems.

http://www.funonrails.com/2010/02/vim-editor-for-r...

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 1:32 AM, Joel Chippindale <

> removed_email_address@domain.invalid<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en

Sandip