Forum: Ruby on Rails Plz provide code for (Drop down questions shouldn't have a N

Prashanth K. (Guest)
on 2009-06-05 11:50

Hi ,

Am very New to Rails..i Hav the following issue ..Plz tell way using
ruby on rail s code me to resolve the below .Plz Provide the code for
this issue.
issue:-

Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
One".

Detailed Description for the issue:-

In the dropdown question it defaults to "none", that is confusing, can
you have it say, "Select One"
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Jun 5, 8:50 am, Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> Am very New to Rails..i Hav the following issue ..Plz tell way using
> ruby on rail s code me to resolve the below .Plz Provide the code for
> this issue.
> issue:-
>
> Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
> One".

depends on how you create that drop down box. Most of the rails
helpers have a :prompt option.

Fred
Prashanth K. (Guest)
on 2009-06-05 12:06
Thanks Frederick.However for this i need to change the below mention
code you said  in rhtml file in my application View..

Frederick C. wrote:
> On Jun 5, 8:50�am, Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> Hi ,
>>
>> Am very New to Rails..i Hav the following issue ..Plz tell way using
>> ruby on rail s code me to resolve the below .Plz Provide the code for
>> this issue.
>> issue:-
>>
>> Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
>> One".
>>
> depends on how you create that drop down box. Most of the rails
> helpers have a :prompt option.
>
> Fred
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Jun 5, 9:06 am, Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Thanks Frederick.However for this i need to change the below mention
> code you said  in rhtml file in my application View..

You probably would, yes.

Fred
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/6/5 Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
> One".
>
> Detailed Description for the issue:-
>
> In the dropdown question it defaults to "none", that is confusing, can
> you have it say, "Select One"

If you are still having difficulty, what code in your view file are
you using to show the select box?

Colin
Prashanth K. (Guest)
on 2009-06-09 07:45
Thanks Colin,How ever am not able to find the exact location for this
code..
Can you plz guide me to find out the simplest way for this selection
code in my machine like any naming conventions follow for the view rhtml
file in my application.
And one more thing Actuvally my issue is to select one dropdown that
place previously it had None option now i should select the same with
the "Select one"

Plz tell wat are the exact file to change for this issue in my
application.

Thanks,
Prashanth

Colin L. wrote:
> 2009/6/5 Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
>> One".
>>
>> Detailed Description for the issue:-
>>
>> In the dropdown question it defaults to "none", that is confusing, can
>> you have it say, "Select One"
>>

> If you are still having difficulty, what code in your view file are
> you using to show the select box?
>
> Colin
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/6/9 Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Plz tell wat are the exact file to change for this issue in my
> application.

Are you saying that you do not know which file in your application is
showing the select box?  If you do not know then how am I to know?
It may be useful for you to go through some tutorials on how RoR
works.  The Rails guides are very good.
Colin
Prashanth K. (Guest)
on 2009-06-18 18:16
Thank you Colin,
Please find the following issue and code  which i asked ..

issue:-

Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
One".

Detailed Description for the issue:-

In the dropdown question it defaults to "none", that is confusing, can
you have it say, "Select One"

CODE:--

This is my file location in my local
machine:-C:\rails\sme_on_rails\app\views\presentation\content\question_widgets\_select.rhtml
_select.rhtml code:-

<% # $Id: _select.rhtml 5267 2009-04-02 22:05:54Z efinnera $
-%>

<% select_options = [] -%>
<%
@question.answers.find(:all, :order => "position ASC", :conditions =>
['parent_id IS NULL']).each{|answer|
  at = get_translation(answer, @translation.locale_id)
  select_options << [at.value, answer.id.to_s] if at
}
select_options = [[t('content_page.quiz_response.none', 'Select One'),
nil]].concat(select_options.compact)
-%>
<% onclick_script = '' %>
<% onclick_script +=
"toggleOtherTextBox('submitted_quiz_#{@question.id}_#{@other_answer_id}');"%>
<% onclick_script += "checkSkipping(#{@question.position - 1})"%>
<% previous_selection = params[:submitted_quiz]  ?
params[:submitted_quiz][@question.id.to_s] : nil %>

<%=  select_tag("submitted_quiz[#{@question.id.to_s}]",
options_for_quiz_select(select_options, @question, previous_selection),
:disabled => (@ready_to_grade ? true : false), :onchange =>
onclick_script) %>

#### i changed the option instead of None..Select One...

How ever these updates are not reflecting my machine.. is any more
changes to do ...?

Thanks,
Prashanth ....

Prashanth K. wrote:
> Thanks Colin,How ever am not able to find the exact location for this
> code..
> Can you plz guide me to find out the simplest way for this selection
> code in my machine like any naming conventions follow for the view rhtml
> file in my application.
> And one more thing Actuvally my issue is to select one dropdown that
> place previously it had None option now i should select the same with
> the "Select one"
>
> Plz tell wat are the exact file to change for this issue in my
> application.
>
> Thanks,
> Prashanth
>
> Colin L. wrote:
>> 2009/6/5 Prashanth K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>>> Drop down questions shouldn't have a None option- should say "Select
>>> One".
>>>
>>> Detailed Description for the issue:-
>>>
>>> In the dropdown question it defaults to "none", that is confusing, can
>>> you have it say, "Select One"
>>>

>> If you are still having difficulty, what code in your view file are
>> you using to show the select box?
>>
>> Colin
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 18 Jun 2009, at 15:16, Prashanth K. wrote:

> #### i changed the option instead of None..Select One...
>
> How ever these updates are not reflecting my machine.. is any more
> changes to do ...?

Your app is localized: you need to update the yml file with the
translations (for the key content_page.quiz_response.none )

Fred
Prashanth K. (Guest)
on 2009-06-18 19:10
Thanks Fread,

After done my changes in the particular file..i hit a rake task for
label updation in my machine...

C:\rails\sme_on_rails>rake labels:scrape
(in C:/rails/sme_on_rails)
Scraping...

Then i check but not updated still in my screen its showing None
option...suppose to show Select one.

Regards,
Prashanth...