Forum: Ruby on Rails How to add up an array's element with a rails way?

Kevin Fu (Guest)

I have a method like this, calculating the sub_total in an order model:

def sub_total
  result = 0
  for item in self.order_items
    result += item.price
  end
  result
end

Is there a rails way to make the method more simple and concise?

Thank you :)

--
regards,
Kai Fu

Material Science and Engineering
Huazhong University of Science and Technology
Wuhan Hubei Province P.R.China
E-mail: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Jun 5, 5:01 am, Kevin Fu <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> end
>
> Is there a rails way to make the method more simple and concise?

Have a peak at the sum method :-)

Fred
Sandip R. (Guest)
use active record sum method

self.order_items.sum( :price )

-Sandip

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Frederick C. <

--
Ruby on Rails Developer
http://sandip.sosblog.com