Forum: Ruby on Rails HELP attr_accessor

Newb N. (Guest)
on 2009-06-04 15:21
Hi...
I use non modal attribute for companyinfo modal..
For that i have created like below

 attr_accessor :std_code

To validate that field i included the below code in to my companyinfo
modal.

validates_presence_of :std_code,:message => '*The std number is
required.'

it validates when i leave that field empty and shows the validation
error.
but even after filling the field it shows me error....
what would be the problem....
pls help
Newb N. (Guest)
on 2009-06-04 16:28
pls help me
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/6/4 Newb N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> Hi...
> I use non modal attribute for companyinfo modal..
> For that i have created like below
>
>  attr_accessor :std_code

I am not sure what you mean by a non modal attribute.

> pls help
Have you checked in the rails log that std_code is being passed in
with the params?

Colin
Newb N. (Guest)
on 2009-06-04 16:43
Colin L. wrote:
> 2009/6/4 Newb N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>>
>> Hi...
>> I use non modal attribute for companyinfo modal..
>> For that i have created like below
>>
>>  attr_accessor :std_code
>>

> I am not sure what you mean by a non modal attribute.
>
>> pls help
> Have you checked in the rails log that std_code is being passed in
> with the params?
>
> Colin

yes it has been passed with params

actually i dont have any field like std_code into my table.
so i mentioned as non modal attribute
i use like below in my form.
<%= error_message_on( @company, :std_code) -%>
<%= f.text_field :std_code, { :class => "txtbox",:size => "2" } %>
pls guide me
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/6/4 Newb N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> actually i dont have any field like std_code into my table.
> so i mentioned as non modal attribute
> i use like below in my form.
> <%= error_message_on( @company, :std_code) -%>
> <%= f.text_field :std_code, { :class => "txtbox",:size => "2" } %>
> pls guide me
> --

I have not tried to validate an attribute that is not in the table.
If it is not saving it what is the point of the validation?
I would suggest using ruby-debug to break into the controller just
before the validation and check the value of std_code.

Colin
Newb N. (Guest)
on 2009-06-04 17:10
Thank you for taking time to reply...

That is i have phone field into my table.
I get country code and std code and phone code from the form
after getting i append like below

1-011-5558

then i save into my phone field.

so i in my modal i have like below

attr_accessor :country_code,:std_code,phone_code

for this purpose i have to validate those three atrr_accessor fields..

i mean is phone = country_code+"-"+std_code+"-"+phone_code
Any Helps
Newb N. (Guest)
on 2009-06-04 17:40
any helps or suggestions pls...
Colin L. (Guest)
2009/6/4 Newb N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> so i in my modal i have like below
>
> attr_accessor :country_code,:std_code,phone_code
>

> for this purpose i have to validate those three atrr_accessor fields..
>
> i mean is phone = country_code+"-"+std_code+"-"+phone_code
> Any Helps
> --

Have you tried my suggestion to use ruby-debug to break into the
controller just
before the validation and check the value of std_code?

Colin
Sandip R. (Guest)
ok...in this case you can do validation in this way..

validate :std_code

def std_code
   errors.add( :std_code ) if self.std_code and self.std_code.blank?
end

-Sandip R~

--
Ruby on Rails Developer