Forum: JRuby [ANN] JRuby 1.3.0 Released

Thomas E Enebo (Guest)
The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.3.0

Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

The fixes in this release are primarily obvious compatibility problems
and
performance enhancements.  Our goal is to put out point releases more
frequently for the next several months (about 3-4 weeks a release).  We
want
a more rapid release cycle to better address issues brought up by users
of
JRuby.

Highlights:
- Fixes so that JRuby runs in restricted environments better like GAE/J
- Accessing primitive Java arrays are about 10x faster
- timeout.rb is now ~40% faster
- Method cache performance improvements
- irb works in --1.9 mode now
  - Additional Miscellaneous 1.9 fixes
- rubygems 1.3.3, rake 0.8.7, and rspec 1.2.6 upgrades
- 66 bugs fixed since 1.2.0

JRUBY-3729      JRuby's internal change killed JSR 223 JRuby engine's
global variable sharing
JRUBY-3726   Cannot access named capture in match data
JRUBY-3723   1.3RC3 regression - Gem activate error
JRUBY-3714   ActiveMessaging poller stops silently with JRuby 1.3.0RC1
and RC2. Works with JRuby 1.2.0
JRUBY-3601   Need updated release of JFFI for 1.3 release
JRUBY-3719   FFI :buffer_out params incorrectly handled as pinned
arrays by jffiJRUBY-3626      Thread Safety issue with JRuby 1.3 RC1 -
JRuby abnormally exit
JRUBY-3625   Multi-threading issue with RegExp
JRUBY-1441   ENV should not be case-sensitive on Windows
JRUBY-3617   Java array support unit tests on are failing on AIX with
JRuby 1.3-dev
JRUBY-3663   Can't build JRuby on last OpenJDK builds (58+) because of
uncorrect Invokdynamic support
JRUBY-3638   Multi-Threading issues with JRuby 1.3RC1 and soap4r
JRUBY-3678   problem with super called from method defined with
define_method
JRUBY-3686   io.fcntl can also accept one-arg version
JRUBY-3509   uninitialized constant when using ResourceController
plugin with Rails 2.2.2
JRUBY-3699   Failure in ruby1.8/uri/test_common
JRUBY-3594   JRuby's instance_exec only accepts up to 3 arguments
JRUBY-3677   Array#pack problem
JRUBY-3633   JRuby 1.3 Fails to Execute Embedded Ruby code in Java
JRUBY-3634   File.read or File.open with a url to a file resource fails
with StringIndexOutOfBounds exception
JRUBY-3621   relative_path_from returns errors for "C:/" and "C:\\"
JRUBY-3536   JRUBY-1441
jruby-complete gem install fails: private method `split' called for
nil:NilClass
JRUBY-3647   Severe performance degradation from
3d9140fafcda9c4fe6b9d5a1fec0ae9822877e03
JRUBY-3659   Running ant spec-short without the proper Git
abbreviations does not break
JRUBY-3661   Incorrect super call site caching with multiple included
modules
JRUBY-3395   RubySpec: ConditionVariable#wait should return self
JRUBY-3658   RubySpec: Range#initialize visibility and arity failures
JRUBY-3396   RubySpec: Queue#num_waiting reports the number of threads
waiting on the Queue
JRUBY-3357   Marshal load and dump rubyspec failures
JRUBY-3644   After sucessfully launching a remotely-debugged
application (using -S rdebug --stop) trying to run it crashes
JRUBY-3649   IllegalArgumentException with --debug and syslog
JRUBY-3671   RubySpec: Time.times is an obsolete method
JRUBY-3388   RubySpec: File.open opens the file when passed mode, num
and permissions
JRUBY-3343   Modify require logic to block when two threads require the
same file at the same time
JRUBY-3585   Syslog has broken on OS X
JRUBY-2518   Dir["some glob"] doesn't work for files inside a jar
JRUBY-3496   MRI tests: test_hash shows bug in delete_if block argument
JRUBY-3578   ByteList.endsWith fails on empty bytelist
JRUBY-3586   StringIO should support to_inputstream, to_outputstream,
and to_channel just like IO does
JRUBY-3588   Allow rescuing Java Throwables.
JRUBY-1800   Ruby 1.9 Fiber support should leverage the same thread
pool as pooled JRuby threading
JRUBY-3345   Exception backtraces at toplevel appear to be broken
JRUBY-3483   Redirecting $stdout to an object blows up the stack
JRUBY-2900   Add -vm command line argument to pass classpath, etc.
JRUBY-3573   Memory leak when -Djruby.thread.pool.enabled=true
JRUBY-3680   closed stream error when using druby to copy a file
JRUBY-3472   RubySpec: failures in after_each for core/file
JRUBY-3579   Prawn gem nil:NilClass error that doesn't occur in MRI
JRUBY-3498   New failure in MRI's test_time
JRUBY-3679   java.nio.BufferOverflowException on every Kernel.puts call
JRUBY-3670   RubySpec: A Symbol literal does not contain null in the
string
JRUBY-3683   JRUBY-3670 fix introduces a symbol regression
JRUBY-3596   gems in a jar are not found if the current directory
contains a space
JRUBY-3393   RubySpec: CSV::Reader.parse calls block once for one row of
input
JRUBY-3698   RubyDateFormat.java does ont handle %R specifier in
strftime
JRUBY-3652   IO.popen drops first space between command and first
argument
JRUBY-3632      Jruby deployment missing batch files
JRUBY-3620   JRuby shebang parsing is too simplistic
JRUBY-3572   Support for anonymous callback inside function definition
JRUBY-3650   Please consider allowing jruby -c to take multiple files
as arguments
JRUBY-3660   Dir.pwd correctly displays dirs with unicode characters in
them
JRUBY-2235   Minor regression: Kernel.system('non-existing-file')
produces some output but shouldn't
JRUBY-3615   Fiber.yield crahes if called without arguments
JRUBY-3640   Minor optimizations with Map.entrySet

--
Blog: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/ThomasEEnebo
Email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid ,

Awesome, I'm checking it out now. Congratulations and nice work!

Matt
Jay McGaffigan (Guest)
Great job guys!  As always.

Quick question ... I was at github on the jruby project I don't see
any tags for the 1.3 stuff RCs or otherwise... I was wondering how the
taging worked?

Thanks!
Jay

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:21 PM, Thomas E Enebo
wrote:

> JRUBY-3729       JRuby's internal change killed JSR 223 JRuby engine's
> JRUBY-1441      ENV should not be case-sensitive on Windows
> JRUBY-3594      JRuby's instance_exec only accepts up to 3 arguments
> abbreviations does not break
> JRUBY-3388      RubySpec: File.open opens the file when passed mode, num
> JRUBY-1800      Ruby 1.9 Fiber support should leverage the same thread
> JRUBY-3670      RubySpec: A Symbol literal does not contain null in the string
> as arguments

I have noticed this as well. The github branches and tags appear to be
horribly out of date.

They are working fine if you use the kenai source.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Yep, sorry about that. To get up and going quickly on github we only
mirrored master.

Nick: what do we need to do to mirror the rest?

- Charlie

Matt Fletcher wrote:
>     Quick question ... I was at github on the jruby project I don't see
>      > Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
>      >
>      >
>      > arrays by jffiJRUBY-3626         Thread Safety issue with JRuby
>      > JRUBY-3638      Multi-Threading issues with JRuby 1.3RC1 and soap4r
>     resource fails
>      > JRUBY-3661      Incorrect super call site caching with multiple
>      > JRUBY-3649      IllegalArgumentException with --debug and syslog
>     argument
>      > JRUBY-2900      Add -vm command line argument to pass classpath, etc.
>      > JRUBY-3683      JRUBY-3670 fix introduces a symbol regression
>      > JRUBY-3572      Support for anonymous callback inside function
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >

>        http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

Congratulations!  Great work!
Renato Santos (Guest)
Congratulations! And a big thanks for all the effort and support you all
put
on this project!

[]'s, Renato.
Nick S. (Guest)
I've manually pushed branches and tags over for now. We should
probably add a step to our release process to make sure they get
mirrored, or if we can figure out a convention or set of branches to
be mirrored, I can add to our sync script.

/Nick

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Charles Oliver N.