Forum: Ruby on Rails Implementing an atomic wizard with new objects

charan (Guest)
Hello after having searched the forums I couldn't find any soution to
this problem:

I want to implement a multi step form across models.

Step 1: Enter requested username/ password - User model
Step 2: Enter Profile information - Profile model
Step 3: Misc questions - Questionaire model
Step 4: Accept settings and save

The problem is if a user is created in step 1 and then exits his
browser during step 2, thus a record in the users table is dangling,
no good.

The best solution would be to have a Wizard controller with each step
being associated with a method. Ive looked at the Wizard plugin
(http://github.com/crankin/wizard/tree/master), however it doesnt seam
like it addresses the issue mentioned above.

and also problem with back button in the browser,what if the user
press back at step 3 and goes back to step 1 and start it..offcourse
we can update it using update_attribute but it create many round trip
to DB

Ive also looked as acts_as_statemachine but I dont know how I can get
it to work with e.g. the wizard plugin.

Thanks in advance
Phlip (Guest)
charan wrote:

> The problem is if a user is created in step 1 and then exits his
> browser during step 2, thus a record in the users table is dangling,
> no good.

Please solve this problem. I'm trying to sign up, and don't notice the
oncoming
electrical storm. On page 2 the lights go out. When I reboot and
recover, 59
minutes later, I should be able to resume page 2.

Save your dangling records, and allow some innocuous event, such as
someone
hitting a list of users, to reap the danglers that are older than one
day.

--
   Phlip