Forum: Ruby Module methods

Pito S. (Guest)
on 2009-06-03 17:16
I am trying to do this:

==== File: good.rb ====

module Good
   def init_module
      @var = "good"
   end

   def life_is_good
      puts "life is #{@var}"
   end

   [... more methods ...]
end

include X
init_module

======== and in a different file ========

include Good

life_is_good

- - - - - - - -

That works but messes up when I try to use ruby-debug with it. So I
changed it to try to call init_module in a different way: instead of
include X, init_module, I tried both of these, neither of which works:

X::init_module

X.init_module

Each of those calls lead to an 'undefined method 'init_module' for
X:Module.

I am getting myself confused with Module methods etc etc.

Any help would be gratefully accepted!!

Pito
Mark T. (Guest)
It looks like what you really want is a class. Is there a specific
reason you don't want to do this?

class Good
  def initialize
    @var = "good"
  end

  def life
    puts @var

g = Good.new
g.life
Pito S. (Guest)
on 2009-06-03 17:53
Mark T. wrote:
> It looks like what you really want is a class. Is there a specific
> reason you don't want to do this?
>
> class Good
>   def initialize
>     @var = "good"
>   end
>
>   def life
>     puts @var
>   end
> end
>
> g = Good.new
> g.life

Yeah, I am trying to make as transparent as possible "Domain Specific
Language" so that the second file looks like a program in the DSL with
as little extra stuff as possible. So the second file ends up looking
like:

include Good

life
bicycle :first
telephone :last
life

(FOR EXAMPLE :)
Nation, Carey (Guest)
Pretty sure that you need to prefix the module methods with the module
name.  Yeah, I know.

Try:
module Good
   def Good.init_module
      @var = "good"

And the in your "different file"

require 'good';
Good.init_module

Which isn't exactly what you want.

<talking out of ear now>
I think that you have to prefix the method with the module name since
using it this way gets things added to main rather than to your own
class/instance.  It smells like include should make it so that you can
omit the Good. on the call, but it doesn't work for me.  Again, I think
it may be something to do with it being in main rather than in your own
class.  You're basically trying to make a mixin for main and I
suspect/know that the rules are somewhat different.
</talking out of ear now>

Hope that this helps some...
Mark T. (Guest)
On Jun 3, 9:54 am, Pito S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> life
I think part 4 of this article is worth reading:
http://deadprogrammersociety.blogspot.com/2006/11/...
Gregory B. (Guest)
On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Mark T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> I think part 4 of this article is worth reading:

http://deadprogrammersociety.blogspot.com/2006/11/...

Also, the sample chapter of my book has a relevant section about this,
under "Building Flexible Interfaces":

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156749/index.html
Pito S. (Guest)
on 2009-06-09 02:34
Gregory B. wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:00 PM, Mark T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I think part 4 of this article is worth reading:

http://deadprogrammersociety.blogspot.com/2006/11/...

> Also, the sample chapter of my book has a relevant section about this,
> under "Building Flexible Interfaces":
>
> http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596156749/index.html

Greg, I read the chapter. Excellent stuff. When's the book coming out?
Or is it?

- Pito
Gregory B. (Guest)
On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Pito S.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> Greg, I read the chapter. Excellent stuff. When's the book coming out?
> Or is it?

It's already off to the printers so if you pre-order it now you should
have it within the next couple weeks.

-greg
Pito S. (Guest)
on 2009-06-09 18:57
Gregory B. wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM, Pito S.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Greg, I read the chapter. Excellent stuff. When's the book coming out?
>> Or is it?
>
> It's already off to the printers so if you pre-order it now you should
> have it within the next couple weeks.
>
> -greg

http://www.salas.com/2009/06/09/geeky-check-out-ru...

:)