Forum: Ruby on Rails How do I access a my :include data in my ROR SQL results?

DL B. (Guest)
on 2009-06-02 12:13
I am new to ROR, and I'm stuck!

My MySQL tables are setup like this:

books
------
id
book_name
author_id

authors
-------
id
author_name

my regular PHP/SQL query would look something like this:
$all_books = SELECT * FROM books LEFT JOIN authors ON
books.author_id=authors.id

so, i create this ruby call of the same query:
@all_books = Book.find( :all, :include => [:author] )

now, in PHP, i could just call
$all_books['book_name'] or $all_books['author_name'] and both would work
fine

in rail, i seem to have an issue where i can call @all_books.book_name
just fine, but @all_books.author_name gives me an error

however, when i run @all_books.inspect, i can see the author_name in the
data that it spits back to me.  how do i get to that data?
DL B. (Guest)
on 2009-06-02 12:28
> now, in PHP, i could just call
> $all_books['book_name'] or $all_books['author_name'] and both would work
> fine
>
> in rail, i seem to have an issue where i can call @all_books.book_name
> just fine, but @all_books.author_name gives me an error

Dang.  I solved my problem.  It was so simple.

I just had to call @all_books.author.author_name
Dmitry P. (Guest)
Please read http://guides.rails.info/ before ask such a simple
questions.