Forum: Ruby on Rails Updated Tutorials?

Joel D. (Guest)
on 2009-06-01 23:30
Every book I've purchased has either been a) outdated using rails 1.x or
b) outdated using rails 2.x where there are issues working through some
of the books.

A good example is a book that others said was wonderful.  It's called
Foundation Rails 2.

I started going through the book and everything is being taught the
exact way I like to learn.  So, I'm thinking "alright this is great!".
Then, I get to the first partial tutorial involving "clients".  I'm
supposed to add the unfinished clients (that I downloaded) and work from
that.

I download it, place it in my projects directory, fire up netbeans 6.5
and add it and encounter a rake error.  I try to get more information so
I drop down into a command prompt and run rake -D on the directory
called Clients and receive the following error:

rake aborted!
undefined method 'new!' for Rational:Class
C:/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake.rb:2383:in
'raw_load_rakefile'

I spent hours finally getting both mysql and sqlite3 up and running on
1.9.1 on a windows environment and I'm able to create new projects in
either DB platform on rails using netbeans 6.5.

However, it seems that every tutorial I find (other than the 10-minute
weblog tutorial for netbeans) has failed or is outdated and contains
errors.  I wouldn't be bothered by this so much if it wasn't for the
fact that I've paid money for these books and many of them have some
nice concepts but nothing to work with or through.

So, my frustration is not with rails and it's ever changing environment.
It's that people are selling books that are stating they work fine with
rails 2.x and they aren't.

Are there any tutorials out there that work for rails 2.3.2 that I can
follow along with and where?  I'd love to learn more about the model
transitioning with databases..  I've learned a great deal already but
I'm missing tutorials that interact with databases.

Many thanks in advance.
Philip H. (Guest)
> Are there any tutorials out there that work for rails 2.3.2 that I can
> follow along with and where?  I'd love to learn more about the model
> transitioning with databases..  I've learned a great deal already but
> I'm missing tutorials that interact with databases.

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/
Joel D. (Guest)
on 2009-06-02 00:51
Philip H. wrote:
>> Are there any tutorials out there that work for rails 2.3.2 that I can
>> follow along with and where?  I'd love to learn more about the model
>> transitioning with databases..  I've learned a great deal already but
>> I'm missing tutorials that interact with databases.
>
> http://guides.rubyonrails.org/

Thanks Philip