Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Error: gtk_file_system_error_quark

Robert H. (Guest)

I am getting an error:

ruby: symbol lookup error:
/Programs/Ruby/1.8.7p160/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-linux/gtk2.so:
undefined symbol: gtk_file_system_error_quark

My relevant versions (all compiled from source) are:

gtk:    2.14.7
glib:   2.20.3
gcc:     4.3.3
atk:    1.22.0
ruby:    1.8.7

Perhaps one of you guys has an idea what the error could be. This haunts
me since some time and I can not use ruby-gtk until I managed to solve
it.
Perhaps some version is incompatible or something.

I googled a bit and found some references like on
http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/11623 but I am not smart enough to
understand it entirely.

I wouldn't mind to patch this away (i dont think I need it in my code),
but I would really like to continue working with ruby-gtk as soon as
possible again. Did make a break of a few weeks already... :)
Kouhei S. (Guest)

In <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Error: gtk_file_system_error_quark" on Mon, 1
Jun 2009 17:59:20 +0200,
  Marc H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I am getting an error:
>
> ruby: symbol lookup error:
> /Programs/Ruby/1.8.7p160/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i686-linux/gtk2.so:
> undefined symbol: gtk_file_system_error_quark

Could you re-run 'make clean && ruby extconf.rb && make'?

'ruby extconf.rb' for Ruby/GTK+ detects whether your GTK+
has gtk_file_system_error_quark() or not.

kou
Robert H. (Guest)
on 2009-06-03 06:15
> Could you re-run 'make clean && ruby extconf.rb && make'?
>
> 'ruby extconf.rb' for Ruby/GTK+ detects whether your GTK+
> has gtk_file_system_error_quark() or not.
>

> Thanks,
> --
> kou

Thanks - it works now.

I cleaned up my gtk install as well. (I was using a higher gtk version
before that, now I downgraded cleanly, and ruby-gtk works happily.)