Forum: Ruby irb command history issues with ruby 1.9.1p129

sa 1. (Guest)
on 2009-05-31 13:39
Hi all,

I've recently installed ruby 1.9.1 from source w/o any special issues on
ubuntu linux 9.04. Everything works great except scrolling command
history in irb with the up/down arrow keys. I'm sure you guys can
appreciate how annoying it is to retype everything (yeah, I'm lazy).

Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I read that it has
something to do with readline library, but after installing those (both
GNU and ruby's) and rebuilding didn't change much. I also read a post on
using

$ ./configure --with-readline-dir=/usr/local

for build, but that was on a mac and it doesn't seem to be a valid
configure flag (make didn't recognize it). It was also a fairly old
post.

Any ideas on how to solve this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mk 2. (Guest)
on 2009-05-31 19:12
sa 125 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've recently installed ruby 1.9.1 from source w/o any special issues on
> ubuntu linux 9.04. Everything works great except scrolling command
> history in irb with the up/down arrow keys. I'm sure you guys can
> appreciate how annoying it is to retype everything (yeah, I'm lazy).
>
> Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I read that it has
> something to do with readline library, but after installing those (both
> GNU and ruby's) and rebuilding didn't change much. I also read a post on

I installed 1.9.1p129 a few weeks ago on Fedora Core 10-64 and the irb
CL history is fine.  It almost certainly uses readline and probably
would not build at all without it, but just in case: are you sure you
installed the DEVELOPMENT libraries for GNU readline, which are required
for source builds, and not just the normal library package, which is
just objects for pre-built binaries to link to.

Ruby readline() is probably a red herring here.
sa 1. (Guest)
on 2009-06-01 10:40
Mk 27 wrote:
> sa 125 wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've recently installed ruby 1.9.1 from source w/o any special issues on
>> ubuntu linux 9.04. Everything works great except scrolling command
>> history in irb with the up/down arrow keys. I'm sure you guys can
>> appreciate how annoying it is to retype everything (yeah, I'm lazy).
>>
>> Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this? I read that it has
>> something to do with readline library, but after installing those (both
>> GNU and ruby's) and rebuilding didn't change much. I also read a post on
>
> I installed 1.9.1p129 a few weeks ago on Fedora Core 10-64 and the irb
> CL history is fine.  It almost certainly uses readline and probably
> would not build at all without it, but just in case: are you sure you
> installed the DEVELOPMENT libraries for GNU readline, which are required
> for source builds, and not just the normal library package, which is
> just objects for pre-built binaries to link to.
>
> Ruby readline() is probably a red herring here.

You're right - I got the development package for GNU readline
(libreadline5-dev) and rebuilt, and irb worked fine. Thanks!
Markus F. (Guest)
sa 125 wrote:
>> Ruby readline() is probably a red herring here.
>
> You're right - I got the development package for GNU readline
> (libreadline5-dev) and rebuilt, and irb worked fine. Thanks!

Oh thanks, that was bugging me too, already. Sweet!

- Markus