Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails site on CD

Robin F. (Guest)
Hi All

I've been asked to provide a copy of a site I've just put together on
a CD so that it can be tailed in with a Powerpoint presentation (I
presume links from the presentation to a local copy of the site).

Does anyone have any thoughts on how one could go about this?  The
only thought I had was to find a way to automate a visit to every page
and then store a copy of the page as a static html file.

All suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks

Robin
Jack B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 18:02
Robin F. wrote:
> Does anyone have any thoughts on how one could go about this?  The
> only thought I had was to find a way to automate a visit to every page
> and then store a copy of the page as a static html file.

When you use caches_page in your controllers it'll create a directory
structure in your public directory that includes static versions of the
pages you set to use. After you do that, you can just take the public
directory and browse through that omitting the rest of the app. That
would probably be the best way to go about it.
Jack B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 18:03
http://www.bestechvideos.com/2009/03/21/railslab-s...

There's a good screencast to get you started.
Robin F. (Guest)
Great stuff!  Thanks Jack!

On May 29, 3:02 pm, Jack B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 19:26
Robin F. wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I've been asked to provide a copy of a site I've just put together on
> a CD
[...]

There have been a number of discussions on this list about packaging a
Rails application for local execution.  Joyent's Slingshot seems to be
what I hear come up most often, and it also might be feasible to package
it as a java app with JRuby.  These solutions should help if static
pages are not what you need.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser