Forum: Ruby on Rails SubDomain Queries

Sahil D. (Guest)

I have a requirement in my rails application where i need to provide
access
to a blog from another domain.
e.g:  blog.company.com should point to my app's blog_controller's show
action. Is this possible.

& if it is possible, will the user see:
1. blog.company.com/blog/some-blog
2. myapp.com/blog/some-blog

I read a lot about Subdomain_fu. But i think it can only emulate
subdomains
in my own app. like (blog.myapp.com) or (company.blog.myapp.com).

I really need help on this. Any pointers or suggestions are always
welcome.

Regards

--
Sahil
Robin F. (Guest)

If someone types in blog.company.com, you will need access to the
server on which that domain resides in order to redirect it to your
app, it has nothing to do with how you structure your application.

If you setup a redirect, then the user will see yourapp.com/blog/:id
unless you reconfigure the routes in routes.rb.  The alternative so
that the user sees blog.company.com is to frame your site on the
company.com website although this is considered slightly 2001 and not
really the done thing.

Robin
Freddy A. (Guest)
Apache and mod_rewrite will be your friend. I would also setup a
virtualhost for the blog.company.com

But are you saying that you have mycompany.com which is a rails app
and you want your blog.othercompany.com to use your blog controller?

Or when people go on your blog they should see blog.mycompany.com in
the browser?
sahil (Guest)
On May 29, 7:07 pm, Robin F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> really the done thing.
No, actually i am not looking for the redirection thing. What i want
is the CNAME Record change of blog.company.com. I have access to this
and the other domain.
so, when a user goes to blog.company.com, he should see contents of
the the rails_app, but the domain part of the url should not change.

Regards

Sahil
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM, sahil <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> so, when a user goes to blog.company.com, he should see contents of
> the the rails_app, but the domain part of the url should not change.

? So, maybe I'm not understanding the issue.

Create a virtual host for blog.company.com and install your blog app
there. No redirection, no url change.

Yes?

sahil (Guest)
> On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 8:43 AM, sahil <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > so, when a user goes to blog.company.com, he should see contents of
> > the the rails_app, but the domain part of the url should not change.
>
> ? So, maybe I'm not understanding the issue.
>
> Create a virtual host for blog.company.com and install your blog app
> there. No redirection, no url change.
>
> Yes?

Yes, i think you are right.

Thanks.