Forum: Ruby on Rails Getting values from multiple select

Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 18:20
I try to get the values from a multiple select without luck. This is my
select:

<%= select "product", "items", @options, {}, { :multiple => true } %>

If I add it directly to a column in the db I get:

---
- !binary |
  xGdn

What should I do with this?
Freddy A. (Guest)
Is this in a form_for? if not you should use select_tag

http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/FormTa...

What do you have in @options?

This is the select method
select(object, method, choices, options = {}, html_options = {})

Examples here
http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/FormOp...

To debug these issues you should have a look at the compiled source
with view source in the browser and see what you got.
Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 22:46
Freddy A. wrote:
> Is this in a form_for? if not you should use select_tag
>
> http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/FormTa...
>
> What do you have in @options?
>
> This is the select method
> select(object, method, choices, options = {}, html_options = {})
>
> Examples here
> http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/FormOp...
>
> To debug these issues you should have a look at the compiled source
> with view source in the browser and see what you got.

That helped. But I only get the first value. Even if I use "items[]".
Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 23:05
Freddy A. wrote:
> Is this in a form_for? if not you should use select_tag
>
> http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/FormTa...
>
> What do you have in @options?
>
> This is the select method
> select(object, method, choices, options = {}, html_options = {})
>
> Examples here
> http://apidock.com/rails/ActionView/Helpers/FormOp...
>
> To debug these issues you should have a look at the compiled source
> with view source in the browser and see what you got.

I'm back to start. I got

---
- - !binary |
    xGdn

This tells me that it also worked with "select".
Paul B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 23:15
Pål Bergström wrote:
> Freddy A. wrote:

> ---
> - - !binary |
>     xGdn
>
> This tells me that it also worked with "select".

Maybe better to ask; is anyone using multiple select in Rails? How does
it work?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On May 28, 7:46 pm, Pål Bergström <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> > To debug these issues you should have a look at the compiled source
> > with view source in the browser and see what you got.
>
> That helped. But I only get the first value. Even if I use "items[]".

Where is it going wrong ? Does your controller only ever say the first
value or do your logs show that the controller receives multiple
values. Look at the html source: does the name of the select tag end
with [] ?

Fred