Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails application without database

Sudhi K. (Guest)

I have a rails Application which only talks to REST Interfaces, I do not
have any database. I am able run the app with no link to mysql with
following changes
config.frameworks -= [ :active_record, :active_resource, :action_mailer
]

in environment.rb.

With this requirement can I somehow package the entire application as a
single exe on windows so that users can install with ease?

Or

Is it simple to deploy on Apache with this requirement?

Thanks,
Sudhindra
Roderick v. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 15:31
Sudhi K. wrote:
> I have a rails Application which only talks to REST Interfaces, I do not
> have any database. I am able run the app with no link to mysql with
> following changes
> config.frameworks -= [ :active_record, :active_resource, :action_mailer
> ]
>
> in environment.rb.
>
> With this requirement can I somehow package the entire application as a
> single exe on windows so that users can install with ease?

I haven't tried yet, but you should be able to. You might try
http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/ or apps such as Joyent
Slingshot or Google Gears.

--
Roderick van Domburg
http://www.nedforce.com
Roderick van Domburg wrote:
[...]
>> With this requirement can I somehow package the entire application as a
>> single exe on windows so that users can install with ease?
>
> I haven't tried yet, but you should be able to. You might try
> http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/ or apps such as Joyent
> Slingshot or Google Gears.

I haven't done this either, but I would guess that it might also be
worth investigating the idea of using JRuby to package the whole thing
as a Java app.  That would also mean that you could run it on any OS!

> --
> Roderick van Domburg
> http://www.nedforce.com

Best,