Forum: Ruby Can't uninstall gems on Ubuntu

Alex 2. (Guest)
on 2009-05-27 18:56
Hello,

I installed net-ssh gem from normal account, and got such warnings:

  $ gem install net-ssh
  WARNING:  Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
            /usr/bin aren't both writable.
  WARNING:  You don't have /home/alex/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin in your PATH,
            gem executables will not run.

To make sure the gem installed:

  $ gem list
  *** LOCAL GEMS ***
  net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)

Now I try to uninstall it.

  $ gem uninstall net-ssh
  ERROR:  While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)
      Unknown gem net-ssh

  $ gem list
  *** LOCAL GEMS ***
  net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)

So I installed a gem, but can't remove it. What is wrong here?

My system is Ubuntu 8.04,
  $ gem -v
  1.3.1

  $ ruby -v

  - Alex
Nation, Carey (Guest)
Well, just a couple of guesses here, but:

It installed to your home directory because you don't have write rights
to the system directories. If you have sudo, sudo gem install net-ssh
might have worked.

The second warning on the install probably also tells you why it won't
uninstall.
Rick D. (Guest)
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:28 AM, Nation, Carey
> Well, just a couple of guesses here, but:
>
> It installed to your home directory because you don't have write rights
> to the system directories. If you have sudo, sudo gem install net-ssh
> might have worked.
>
> The second warning on the install probably also tells you why it won't
> uninstall.

Actually, I think that it's because gem uninstall defaults to
installing from the system gem directory.

>  WARNING:  Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
>            /usr/bin aren't both writable.

I suspect that

$gem uninstall -i~/.gem net-ssh

might work.

--
Rick DeNatale

Nation, Carey (Guest)
>>Actually, I think that it's because gem uninstall defaults to
>>installing from the system gem directory.

>  WARNING:  Installing to ~/.gem since /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8 and
>            /usr/bin aren't both writable.

Sorry for being vague.  That's what I meant, actually.  That is, since
ruby in general couldn't run the gems there as the location wasn't in
the path, it wouldn't be able to uninstall them, either.
Alex 2. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 00:19
> It installed to your home directory because you don't have write rights
> to the system directories. If you have sudo, sudo gem install net-ssh
> might have worked.

Yes, if done with sudo it works fine. But I cann't remove that wrongly
instaled gems :-)

The second warning seems useless, as I have no such folder at all
  /home/alex/.gem/ruby/1.8/bin
Alex 2. (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 00:20
> I suspect that
>
> $gem uninstall -i~/.gem net-ssh
>
> might work.

Unsuccessfully it does not :-(
Eric H. (Guest)
On May 27, 2009, at 10:56, Alex 2k8 wrote:

>  $ gem list
>  *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>  net-ssh (2.0.11, 2.0.10)
>
> So I installed a gem, but can't remove it. What is wrong here?

Upgrade to 1.3.4, the bug was fixed in the meantime.