Forum: Ruby on Rails urgent help please!!

Ruby O. (Guest)
on 2009-05-27 14:31
   have this function with whe work cuts the word inbetween which i
don't want want please help.

 words = "Kid games need to be both fun and educational. Aimed at ages
pre-K through middle school, safe environment to discover their
abilities and learn new skills with interactive and fun computer
games. Our games build skills in math, logic, memory, vocabulary,
alphabet, spelling, geography, computer skills, color identification,
shape identification and other various problem solving. Our commitment
to parents, teachers, and kids, is to connect earning and skill
building with a sense of challenge, fun, and self esteem."

line_length = 40

word_arry = words.split(" ")

text = (0..(words.length / line_length)).inject([]) {|v,num| start =
num * line_length; v << %Q{<= #{words[(start)...(start +
line_length)]} =>}}
text.join("\n")

@counter=""
text.each do |ts|

@counter += ts + "</br>"

end

thanks
Andrew T. (Guest)
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Ruby O.
> to parents, teachers, and kids, is to connect earning and skill
>
> @counter=""
> text.each do |ts|
>
> @counter += ts + "</br>"
>
> end
>

> thanks

words.scan(/.{0,#{line_length}}\s*(?:\b)/)

Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

http://MyMvelope.com - The SIMPLE way to manage your savings
Frederick C. (Guest)
On May 27, 11:31 am, Ruby O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>    have this function with whe work cuts the word inbetween which i
> don't want want please help.

You don't necessarily get the most help by posting essentially the
same thing 4 times. If I were you i'd be working with the array of
split up words (word_arry in your code) rather than trying to slice up
words

Fred
Julian L. (Guest)
On 27/05/2009, at 8:31 PM, Ruby O. wrote:

>   have this function with whe work cuts the word inbetween which i
> don't want want please help.

Sorry to be a pain.

Could you please send your email again. Please use better English.

Use simpler sentences, if you need to.

I don't understand the problem.

Julian.

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Julian L.
> Sorry to be a pain.
>
> Could you please send your email again. Please use better English.
> Use simpler sentences, if you need to.
> I don't understand the problem.
>
> Julian.

Just by the way, this is exactly why test/behaviour driven development
works so well.
If you provided a test/spec with your expectations, it makes it much
easier for
a) you to solve your own problem,
b) us to know we're solving the problem correctly.

On 27/05/2009, at 8:55 PM, Andrew T. wrote:

> Just by the way, this is exactly why test/behaviour driven development
> works so well.
> If you provided a test/spec with your expectations, it makes it much
> easier for
> a) you to solve your own problem,
> b) us to know we're solving the problem correctly.
>
> Andrew T.
> http://ramblingsonrails.com

I couldn't agree more.

Julian.

Learn: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
Last updated 20-May-09 (Rails, Basic Unix)
Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/random8r
Ruby O. (Guest)
on 2009-05-27 15:10
Julian L. wrote:
> On 27/05/2009, at 8:31 PM, Ruby O. wrote:
>

>>   have this function with whe work cuts the word inbetween which i
>> don't want want please help.
>>

> Sorry to be a pain.
>
> Could you please send your email again. Please use better English.
>
> Use simpler sentences, if you need to.
>
> I don't understand the problem.
>
> Julian.

> Learn: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
> Last updated 20-May-09 (Rails, Basic Unix)
> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/random8r

this is the complete code of controller function

  def show

@counter = @counter.sub('<=', '')
@counter = @counter.split(/(\s+)/).reverse.join('')
@counter = @counter.sub('=>', '')
@counter = @counter.split(/(\s+)/).reverse.join('')

abort @counter
end

this produces the output

Kid games need to be both fun and educat =>
<= ional. Aimed at ages pre-K through middl =>
<= e school, safe environment to discover t =>
<= heir abilities and learn new skills with =>
<= interactive and fun computer games. Our =>
<= games build skills in math, logic, memo =>
<= ry, vocabulary, alphabet, spelling, geog =>
<= raphy, computer skills, color identifica =>
<= tion, shape identification and other var =>
<= ious problem solving. Our commitment to =>
<= parents, teachers, and kids, is to conne =>
<= ct earning and skill building with a sen =>
<= se of challenge, fun, and self esteem.

you can see the words are being cut inbetween,iwant rather they do not
come in the line of if they come should come as complete word.

Thanks and regards
Arunkumar B. (Guest)
words = "Kid games need to be both fun and educational. Aimed at ages
pre-K through middle school, safe environment to discover their
abilities and learn new skills with interactive and fun computer
games. Our games build skills in math, logic, memory, vocabulary,
alphabet, spelling, geography, computer skills, color identification,
shape identification and other various problem solving. Our commitment
to parents, teachers, and kids, is to connect earning and skill
building with a sense of challenge, fun, and self esteem."

word_arry = words.split(" ")

count=0
line_text="<="
word_arry.each {|word|
count+=word.length
if count > 40
count=0
line_text+="=>\n<="+word+" "
else
  #puts count.to_s
end_txt = (count > 38) ? word : word+" "
line_text+=end_txt
end
}
line_text+="=>"

puts line_text

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Ruby O.

> to parents, teachers, and kids, is to connect earning and skill

With regards,
Arunkumar B.
9789980534.
http://thinkingrails.blogspot.com
Salil G. (Guest)
on 2009-05-27 18:56
following is the method which trims the string which passes as an
argument and trims if it's length is greater than collength.

 def trimstring(string, collength)
    if(string.length>collength)
        @str = ""
        col = 0