Forum: NGINX Full SVN support

Floren M. (Guest)
I intend to speak at the next Zendcon conference about Nginx and its
advantages.
However, the biggest turnoff for developers would be Nginx not being
capable to fully support all SVN methods.

Are there any plans related to this matter, Igor?

Regards,

Floren M.
Michael S. (Guest)
+1

this has been on my wishlist too.

Not to put all the pressure on Igor either, anyone can obviously
contribute code towards it... sometimes I feel like we're constantly
asking for more more more. If I knew any C I'd try my best to help.
Igor S. (Guest)
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 02:03:45PM -0400, Floren M. wrote:

> I intend to speak at the next Zendcon conference about Nginx and its
> advantages.
> However, the biggest turnoff for developers would be Nginx not being
> capable to fully support all SVN methods.
>
> Are there any plans related to this matter, Igor?

At least not in foreseeable future.
I do not see any perfomance benefits of SVN in nginx.
Chris Cortese (Guest)
Git
Michael S. (Guest)
2009/5/25 Igor S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> At least not in foreseeable future.
> I do not see any perfomance benefits of SVN in nginx.

It's not really performance benefits but simplifying the software stack.

Why involve nginx+proxy to Apache if nginx could handle both?
Johan Bergström (Guest)
Hey,

On May 25, 2009, at 20:57 , Michael S. wrote:

> 2009/5/25 Igor S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>
>> At least not in foreseeable future.
>> I do not see any perfomance benefits of SVN in nginx.
>
> It's not really performance benefits but simplifying the software
> stack.
>
> Why involve nginx+proxy to Apache if nginx could handle both?

Why involve a http stack at all when svn or svn+ssh can handle this
for you?
Point is: No software covers your individual need, thats why you use
more than one application.

If people are _desperate_ for this, I can't see any issues with paying
for a patch?

Regards,
Johan
Floren M. (Guest)
Hi Igor,

I believe we all want to completely remove the Apache interaction with
our servers.
I know I do. So that's why I'm interested to have SVN fully working with
Nginx.

Regards,

Floren
Michael S. (Guest)
2009/5/25 Johan Bergström <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> Why involve a http stack at all when svn or svn+ssh can handle this for you?
> Point is: No software covers your individual need, thats why you use more
> than one application.

There are certain programs that work better with svn over http, I do
not believe Eclipse easily works using svn+ssh, especially when it
comes to complicated firewall setups.

More applications creates more maintenance and administration. More
points for failure. etc. Installing Apache, it's libraries and it's
memory footprint and such just for SVN is annoying, and all of us
would prefer to keep our software stack as slim as possible. I'm not
asking nginx to make me a cup of coffee, I just think someone should
be able to extend it enough to handle the missing components so it can
be used (optionally, as a module of course) into nginx.

> If people are _desperate_ for this, I can't see any issues with paying for a
> patch?

I've already put forth funds for some other nginx modules, and it
comes from my own pocket. Currently I am funding a module for
SPNEGO/Kerberos/GSSAPI support so nginx can be adopted inside of
enterprises with IE/Firefox single sign-on domain authentication
support.
Floren M. (Guest)
Hi Johan,

I donated several hundreds of dollars to Igor, for his amazing work.
I presume we all did, right?

Regards,

Floren M.
Axivo Inc.
Michael S. (Guest)
At some point maybe I can rally funds for igor himself. He's on my
list. Much easier for companies to give money than individuals. I
would like to get my company to donate. I'll have to wait until next
quarter though for more budget.
Johan Bergström (Guest)
Floren,

On May 25, 2009, at 22:46 , Floren M. wrote:

>> If people are _desperate_ for this, I can't see any issues with
>> paying
>
>> for a patch?
>
> I donated several hundreds of dollars to Igor, for his amazing work.
> I presume we all did, right?

And I thank you for your donation since it probably gave me features
that otherwise wouldn't be available.
I'm not trying to blame anyone for asking, I just feel that this
discussion has been done before.

> Regards,
>
> Floren M.
> Axivo Inc.