Forum: GNU Radio Re: Using a USRP as a PID feeback controller

Aviv Keshet (Guest)
It's been pointed out that I have committed the sin of using undefined
jargon.
For the record, PID stands for Proportional Integral Derivative.

PID is a ubiquitous type of feedback controller, mostly thanks to being
conceptually quite simple. The input is an error signal (or a
measurement and
setpoint signal) of some process under control. The PID controller
applies 3
types of feedback:

P - proportional, in which the control output is proportional to the
error
signal.
I - integral, in which the control output is proportion to the
time-integral of
the error signal.
D - derivative, in which the control output is proportional to the
time-derivative of the error signal.

These three terms are added together to produce the control output. By
the right
selection ("tuning") of the 3 gain values, stable feedback control of a
wide
variety of processes is possible.
Marcus D. Leech (Guest)
Aviv Keshet wrote:
> I - integral, in which the control output is proportion to the time-integral of
> the error signal.
> D - derivative, in which the control output is proportional to the
> time-derivative of the error signal.
>
> These three terms are added together to produce the control output. By the right
> selection ("tuning") of the 3 gain values, stable feedback control of a wide
> variety of processes is possible.

We'll be using a couple of PID control systems for our big dish.

--
Marcus L.
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium