Forum: Ruby Ruby/Odeum

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Ken B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 21:09
(Received via mailing list)
I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.

Can anybody help me out?
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 22:37
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Ken B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> 
wrote:
> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
> Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
> find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
> site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
>
> Can anybody help me out?
If not maybe you would care to explain what is an inverted index please
;).



--
Toutes les grandes personnes ont d’abord été des enfants, mais peu
d’entre elles s’en souviennent.

All adults have been children first, but not many remember.

[Antoine de Saint-Exupéry]
Jens W. (Guest)
on 2009-05-23 00:55
(Received via mailing list)
hi ken!

Ken B. [2009-05-22 19:08]:
> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be
> Zed S.'s Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index
> API. I can find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely
> but the original site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
you can find the project page on the internet archive [1] and the
gem on rubyforge (gem install ruby_odeum). is that what you're after?

[1]
<http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.zedshaw.co...

cheers
jens
Ken B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-23 00:57
(Received via mailing list)
In article <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
you wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 7:08 PM, Ken B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
>> Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
>> find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
>> site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
>>
>> Can anybody help me out?
> If not maybe you would care to explain what is an inverted index please ;).


An inverted index is an index from terms to the documents that they
appear in. Typically drawn as:

word1 -> doc1, doc2, doc3, doc4
word2 -> doc1, doc4, doc7, doc12
word3 -> doc5, doc6, doc7, doc12

It could be expressed as a Hash of Arrays, but when you start
operating on even medium-small text collections, it can get
inefficient to load the whole thing into RAM when you don't need
to.
Jeremy H. (Guest)
on 2009-05-23 07:18
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 02:08:34AM +0900, Ken B. wrote:
> I'm looking to use an inverted index for Ruby. There used to be Zed
> Shaw's Ruby/odeum that did this using QDBM's inverted index API. I can
> find references to this all over the web, unfortuntely but the original
> site is gone and I can't find any mirrors.
>
> Can anybody help me out?

Don't forget about Ferret.  http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac

Also If you can wait a week or so, I'm working on a preliminary ruby
interface
to Tokyo Dystopia.

    http://tokyocabinet.sourceforge.net/dystopiadoc/

enjoy,

-jeremy
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2009-05-23 11:48
(Received via mailing list)
On Fri, May 22, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Ken B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> 
wrote:
Ty Ken, I was completely fixed on "internet indices".
Now that I know I follow the thread with interest :)
R.
Ken B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-24 08:09
(Received via mailing list)
On Sat, 23 May 2009 05:51:59 +0900, Jens W. wrote:

> [1]
> <http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.zedshaw.co...
ruby_odeum/>
>
> cheers
> jens

Unfortunately they don't mirror the actual gems.

In the end I found that version 0.2.1 is on Rubyforge (somewhere -- a
search on the website didn't find a project responsible for maintining
it, but I found the gem in RubyGems), and I somehow got my hands on an
0.4 gem which I have mirrored at http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/ for the
time being, until I find something better to do with it.

--Ken
John W Higgins (Guest)
on 2009-05-24 08:22
(Received via mailing list)
Ken,

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM, Ken B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> 
wrote:

>
> Unfortunately they don't mirror the actual gems.
>
> In the end I found that version 0.2.1 is on Rubyforge (somewhere -- a
> search on the website didn't find a project responsible for maintining
> it, but I found the gem in RubyGems), and I somehow got my hands on an
> 0.4 gem which I have mirrored at 
http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/<http://www.iit.edu/%7... the
> time being, until I find something better to do with it.
>
>
Zed still has all the software on his web site - just no links into it

http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/ruby_odeum/ruby_o...

the gem is here

http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/ruby_odeum/ruby_o...

Google REALLY is your friend.

John
Jens W. (Guest)
on 2009-05-24 13:54
(Received via mailing list)
Ken B. [2009-05-24 06:08]:
> On Sat, 23 May 2009 05:51:59 +0900, Jens W. wrote:
>> you can find the project page on the internet archive
> Unfortunately they don't mirror the actual gems.
well, they do. if you go to the latest page [1] (Dec 31, 2007 ) and
follow the "download a gem" link for the latest release (0.4.1) you
get [2].

[1]
<http://web.archive.org/web/20071231083816/http://w...
[2]
<http://web.archive.org/web/20070723205852/www.zeds...

cheers
jens
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.