Forum: JRuby monkeybars: getting started

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
marc (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 14:01
(Received via mailing list)
I'm trying to get started with monkeybars, but there is no accurate,
working information about it that I can find.

The tutorial videos at monkeybars.rubyforge.org do not stream, which is
a
shame.

The kenai site is incomplete and links are broken.

I have a mb project created in netbeans and it builds - getting there
was
like having all my teeth extracted! - but I'm now fumbling around
dissecting code trying to use the thing, which is too painful.

Is there any usable information out there that I might have missed?

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
marc (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 14:25
(Received via mailing list)
marc said:

> dissecting code trying to use the thing, which is too painful.
>
> Is there any usable information out there that I might have missed?

Just wanted to add that I tried using the demo app, but that fails
because it looks for build_configuration.rb when build_configuration.rb
is supplied.

Can I ask: Is anyone using monkeybars? Is there a better alternative
that
I've missed?

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Carl Leiby (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 17:48
(Received via mailing list)
I'm using monkeybars to great success.  I too had a hell of a time
getting
it all working.  The screen casts didn't stream for me either.  I think
this
screen cast was the one that got me over the hump :
http://media.screencastic.com/public/video_assets/...
If you have specific error messages or configuration questions, I'd be
more
than happy to do what I can to help you out.
---------------------------------
Carl Leiby
---------------------------------
marc (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 20:13
(Received via mailing list)
Carl Leiby said:

> I'm using monkeybars to great success.  I too had a hell of a time
> getting it all working.  The screen casts didn't stream for me either.
> I think this screen cast was the one that got me over the hump :
> http://media.screencastic.com/public/video_assets/... If
> you have specific error messages or configuration questions, I'd be more
> than happy to do what I can to help you out.

Thanks, Carl. Good to know it lives. I've already spent far too many
hours over my usual allowance on it, but I'll watch the vid you
recommend; it's not one I've seen before, and keep my fingers crossed.

I'm *so* disappointed at the state of monkeybars. I've been making time
to develop with it for a while, and had grand plans. I never envisaged
it
would be such as mess. To be honest, they'd be better off pulling all
the
docs they have, as they will only put folk off.

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm pretty sure I'll be back.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Logan B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 20:27
(Received via mailing list)
On May 22, 2009, at 9:12 AM, marc wrote:

>> than happy to do what I can to help you out.
> all the
> docs they have, as they will only put folk off.

Ouch.
I can't argue with that.
David is clobbering up some new screencasts, and I've been fielding
questions in the mailing list for both Monkeybars and its sister
project, Rawr.
Since Monkeybars is no longer part of my full-time job, it's hard to
put a lot of time into it. I could really use some help from folks
like yourself to help get the documents up and going (:
I'm currently trying to move everything to Kenai.
Thanks for the feedback!

Logan B.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.logustus.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
marc (Guest)
on 2009-05-22 21:49
(Received via mailing list)
Logan B. said:

>>> more
>> the
>> docs they have, as they will only put folk off.
>
> Ouch.

Sorry, Logan, nothing personal.

> I can't argue with that.
> David is clobbering up some new screencasts, and I've been fielding
> questions in the mailing list for both Monkeybars and its sister
> project, Rawr.

I tried to contact you guys via irc, but we didn't overlap. The latest
rawr won't install here - two machines Linux and Windows - it seems to
loop during the RDoc phase - CPU sky rockets, both jruby and vanilla.

> Since Monkeybars is no longer part of my full-time job, it's hard to put
> a lot of time into it. I could really use some help from folks like
> yourself to help get the documents up and going (: I'm currently trying
> to move everything to Kenai. Thanks for the feedback!

I'll help with the docs. Drop me an email with what you want to do and
we
can get started.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
Logan B. (Guest)
on 2009-05-23 20:02
(Received via mailing list)
>> Ouch.
>
> Sorry, Logan, nothing personal.

None taken!

>
>> I can't argue with that.
>> David is clobbering up some new screencasts, and I've been fielding
>> questions in the mailing list for both Monkeybars and its sister
>> project, Rawr.
>
> I tried to contact you guys via irc, but we didn't overlap. The latest
> rawr won't install here - two machines Linux and Windows - it seems to
> loop during the RDoc phase - CPU sky rockets, both jruby and vanilla.

This is a problem we know to exist with RDoc - it does its own Ruby
parsing, and doesn't like symbols with quotes in them (even though
it's very valid Ruby syntax). The gem is installed already.

> can get started.
Let's take this to the Monkeybas mailing list, which is pretty active:
http://kenai.com/projects/monkeybars/lists

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
David K. (Guest)
on 2009-05-27 05:08
(Received via mailing list)
Marc, Carl,

Most of this is my fault as I let the videos go offline during the
last web host migration.  They had gotten out of date and a 1.0 video
refresh was on my todo for way too long.  I'm presenting at JavaOne
though, so this week I'm redoing the videos to be relevant to
Monkeybars 1.x and we'll get the website all sorted out.  Also, we
just moved to Kenai and haven't shut down all our old sites (google
code, etc.) so that's another strike against us.  The kenai mailing
list is the best place to ask a question if we're not online on IRC.

David K.

On May 22, 2009, at 10:47 AM, marc wrote:

>>>> http://media.screencastic.com/public/video_assets/2/02-
>>>
>> Ouch.
> loop during the RDoc phase - CPU sky rockets, both jruby and vanilla.
> can get started.
>
>    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
marc (Guest)
on 2009-05-27 12:50
(Received via mailing list)
David K. said:

> Marc, Carl,
>
> Most of this is my fault as I let the videos go offline during the last
> web host migration.

We've all been there!

> They had gotten out of date and a 1.0 video refresh
> was on my todo for way too long.  I'm presenting at JavaOne though, so
> this week I'm redoing the videos to be relevant to Monkeybars 1.x and
> we'll get the website all sorted out.

Brilliant. Have a great JavaOne. I wish I were there.

> Also, we just moved to Kenai and
> haven't shut down all our old sites (google code, etc.) so that's
> another strike against us.  The kenai mailing list is the best place to
> ask a question if we're not online on IRC.

I tried on IRC a couple of times, but missed you guys. I manage all my
lists via gmane - I'm an old school usenet dude - which I guess kenai
doesn't support, as I couldn't find monkeybars.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
David K. (Guest)
on 2009-06-01 22:32
(Received via mailing list)
I'm happy to report that the videos should all be back online and
working now.  We're still in the process of consolidating websites and
issue trackers and such but everything on Kenai should be functional.

David K.

On May 27, 2009, at 1:39 AM, marc wrote:

>> They had gotten out of date and a 1.0 video refresh
>> place to
> "Change requires small steps."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
marc (Guest)
on 2009-06-02 02:06
(Received via mailing list)
David K. said:
>>> web host migration.
>>> Also, we just moved to Kenai and
>> Best,
>> Marc

> I'm happy to report that the videos should all be back online and
> working now.

Yup, looking good now. They weren't working earlier when I tried - and I
had some time - so I'll look forward to the next slot I have.

> We're still in the process of consolidating websites and
> issue trackers and such but everything on Kenai should be functional.

If only I could log in! There are some problem with accounts and the
fact
that the kenai accounts pull/push data from other Sun systems. I've no
idea how this works and it sounds a bit daft, but maybe one day I'll get
back in and be able to contribute. Seems crazy that they can't get me
logged in after 24 hours. Someone needs to get hold of that project, me
thinks.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe from this list, please visit:

    http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.