Forum: Ruby on Rails Getting bleeding edge rails

Joshua P. (Guest)
Dear all,

I would like to work on the latest rails version from github. I have
pulled
it and set my $GEM_PATH to where I pulled it : /home/joshua/rails/

But when I worked on it, gem barfed out and did not recognize it. But
when I
typed: gem environment, it displayed /home/joshua/rails/ as my $GEM_PATH

Can anyone that has worked with bleeding edge version tell me what is
the
proper way to do this?

Regards.

--
Join Scrum8.com.

http://scrum8.com/jpartogi/
http://twitter.com/scrum8
Frederick C. (Guest)

put what you have cloned from github into vendor/rails (or symlink
vendor/rails to your checkout from github)

Fred
Joshua P. (Guest)
On May 22, 5:14 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> put what you have cloned from github into vendor/rails (or symlink
> vendor/rails to your checkout from github)

Thanks Frederick. But how come I don't get the 3-0-0-unstable branch ?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On May 22, 2:45 pm, Joshua P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On May 22, 5:14 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> > put what you have cloned from github into vendor/rails (or symlink
> > vendor/rails to your checkout from github)
>
> Thanks Frederick. But how come I don't get the 3-0-0-unstable branch ?

because it just checks out master by default. Just checkout whatever
branch you need.

Fred
Joshua P. (Guest)
On May 23, 12:14 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> because it just checks out master by default. Just checkout whatever
> branch you need.

Hi Frederick,

I've just realised I can't use symlink on windows. What is the
environment variables for ruby library path? I tried RUBYPATH and it
doesn't work. Thank you very much for helping.
Frederick C. (Guest)
> Hi Frederick,
>
> I've just realised I can't use symlink on windows. What is the
> environment variables for ruby library path? I tried RUBYPATH and it
> doesn't work. Thank you very much for helping.

in that case put your rails checkout from github in your_app/vendor/
rails

Fred