Forum: Ruby on Rails Multithreaded BG task which does AR updates okay?

Tim H. (Guest)
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about writing a method which utilises multithreading to
do a bunch of api
calls and make AR updates.  Then calling the method once an hour with
Rufus scheduler.

I'm a little concerned if this is safe or not, and I'm wondering if
anyone has any insight?  I guess the main topic is does multithreading
work nicely with AR - but I'm also wondering if using rufus turns it
in to a more complicated question?

Has anyone seen good articles discussing it?

Cheers,

Tim.
huang zhimin (Guest)
What we do is to write a rake task that make AR update, and add this
running
task into cron job, it's easy and safe.

--
My home: http://www.huangzhimin.com
Frederick C. (Guest)
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm thinking about writing a method which utilises multithreading to
> do a bunch of api
> calls and make AR updates.  Then calling the method once an hour with
> Rufus scheduler.

On earlier version of rails you need to explicitly safe that you want
AR to be threadsafe (the setting is called allow_concurrency). This
isn't needed from rails 2.2 is my memory is correct.

Fred