Forum: Ruby w00t! Party for Gregory!

pat eyler (Guest)
> On May 20, 2009, Gregory B. wrote:
> > On Wed, May 20, 2009, Juan Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > So you have better designs compared to those who seek further conciseness in
> > a language.  If only those folks of poor ability could design so well as
> > you.

> That's right.   I'm pretty awesome.   Maybe RubyTalk can throw a party
> in honor of me!

I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.  Wherever
you
are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

--
thanks,
-pate
On May 21, 2009, at 10:42 AM, pat eyler wrote:

>> party
>> in honor of me!
>

> I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.
> Wherever you are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

I did, but the cops came and arrested me.  Please come bail me out.  ;)

James Edward G. II
Jamey C. (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:42 AM, pat eyler

> I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.  Wherever you
> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

I just danced around my office in honor of Greg wearing nothing but a
party hat and a smile, but that's just how I roll.

Jamey
pat eyler (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:47 AM, James G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>>> That's right.   I'm pretty awesome.   Maybe RubyTalk can throw a party
>>> in honor of me!
>>

>> I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.  Wherever you
>> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.
>
> I did, but the cops came and arrested me.  Please come bail me out.  ;)

I hope this wasn't your one phone call, 'cuz I'm probably not going to
be
able to make it out there for a while.  ;^)

--
thanks,
-pate
On May 21, 2009, at 11:50 AM, Jamey C. wrote:

> I just danced around my office in honor of Greg wearing nothing but a
> party hat and a smile, but that's just how I roll.
>
> Jamey

My dance was space delimited and only took a few seconds.  Perhaps
that was too concise.   Would a better designed dance with larger
vertical leaps have been more appropriate?
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
Juan Z. wrote:
> My dance was space delimited and only took a few seconds.  Perhaps that
> was too concise.   Would a better designed dance with larger vertical
> leaps have been more appropriate?

I refactored my dance into short but reusable steps ;)
Gregory B. (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Juan Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> My dance was space delimited and only took a few seconds.  Perhaps that was
> too concise.   Would a better designed dance with larger vertical leaps have
> been more appropriate?

Ahahaha, no that is perfect. Thanks for the laugh :)

-greg
Tim P. (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM, pat eyler

> I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.  Wherever you
> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.

âž™ cat party.rb

class Party
  @@styles = [
    'Party, Greg, Party!!',
    'Dance, Greg, Dance!!',
    'Woot!!!',
    'Wild Dancing Greg Party!',
    '--< Chunky Bacon >--'
  ]

  def for_greg
    puts @@styles.at(rand(@@styles.length))
  end

  def party( time )
    start = Time.now
    Thread.new {
      loop {
        self.for_greg
        break if Time.now-start >= time
      }
    }

300.times {
  unless fork
    Party.new.party(1)
  end
}

Process.waitall

puts %q(That's right. I'm pretty awesome. Maybe RubyTalk can throw a
party in honor of me!)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Tim P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>    'Dance, Greg, Dance!!',
>    start = Time.now
> 300.times {

Hmmm ... I just created an infinitely spawning script! Need an exit!
after the "Party.new.party(1)" line; otherwise each forked child will
drop through back into the 300.times loop and start the process all
over again.

<sigh>

My efforts at humor are wrought with bugs. More coffee is needed.

TwP
Robert D. (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:47 PM, James G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>>> That's right.   I'm pretty awesome.   Maybe RubyTalk can throw a party
>>> in honor of me!
>>

>> I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.  Wherever you
>> are, take 5 minutes to party wildly and think of Greg.
>
> I did, but the cops came and arrested me.  Please come bail me out.  ;)
No way we do not need excellent coders and nice guys like you!!!!
Sorry James.
--
Toutes les grandes personnes ont d’abord été des enfants, mais peu
d’entre elles s’en souviennent.

All adults have been children first, but not many remember.

[Antoine de Saint-Exupéry]
Robert K. (Guest)
On 21.05.2009 21:18, Tim P. wrote:
>>> I say we do it.  We should all celebrate Greg's awesomeness.  Wherever you
>>    '--< Chunky Bacon >--'
>>        self.for_greg
>>  end
> after the "Party.new.party(1)" line; otherwise each forked child will
> drop through back into the 300.times loop and start the process all
> over again.
>
> <sigh>
>
> My efforts at humor are wrought with bugs. More coffee is needed.

And you are using class variables!  Bad boy!

  robert - still dancing