Forum: Ruby on Rails migration failure> mysql gem issues > xCode install -HELP!!

agilehack (Guest)
please help

i am running Mac os x 10.5.7 - have mysql 64 bit installed - ruby
1.8.6 - rails 2.2.2.  All ruby and rails functions seemed to be
working fine until I tried to do a simple rake db:migrate last night
and got errors that seemed to indicate mysql gem needed to be
installed (is this true?), I tried to install it and got ruby header
errors (amongst others) wich indicated i needed to install xCode (from
OS dvd), so i installed that and then was (i think) able to get the
mysql gem on but the migrate still throws funky errors:

dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _mysql_init
  Referenced from: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/
mysql.bundle
  Expected in: dynamic lookup

and does not work! Now I am not sure where I stand and after much
googling it seems many people are going through this and there are
various fixes and advice but all of them different.

I now have like 9 GB worth of xCode on my system (for a reason I don't
grasp) - may or may not have the mysql gem installed - and still cant
migrate.

can someone tell me if this situation is common?  what the correct fix
is?  Do I need xCode?  How do i uninstall xCode if I don't?

Rails/mySQL/Mac is about as common a marriage there is, so I cant
imagine I am alone.

pretty sure I can back out the huge xCode install and uninstall the
mySQL driver to start over if someone can walk me through the correct
resolution.

thanks
Vel M. (Guest)
hi,

did you created the rails project using like
rails -d mysql <projectname>

then install gem install mysql.. if error comes copy the particular dll
from
mysql then copy to c:\ruby\bin folder
then  use rake db:migrate

try may be help

--
Velmurugan
Frederick C. (Guest)

> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _mysql_init
>   Referenced from: /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mysql-2.7/lib/
> mysql.bundle
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup

You want the 32bit version of mysql (or at the very least you need to
compile the mysql gem against the 32bit version of mysql) since the
ruby executable is 32bit and in Mac OS X a 32bit executable cannot
load a 64bit library.

Fred
agilehack (Guest)
ah - that seems to make perfect sense.  I shouldn't have pushed the
envelope with the 64 bit mySQL and I knew it at the time.

ok so with 32 bit mySQL I should have none of these issues and
therefore don't even need the xCode for ruby header files etc I guess

with that in mind, can anyone help me with how to completely uninstall
the mySQL version I have now (64 bit) so I can then go get the 32 bit
clean

and

how to uninstall the entire xCode tools package I installed cleanly?

thanks for the help guys... live and learn

On May 20, 2:58 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-05-20 17:56
agilehack wrote:
[...]
> how to uninstall the entire xCode tools package I installed cleanly?

If you mean the Developer Tools package, leave it in.  It contains C
compilers and a bunch of other things you'll likely need.  That goes
double if you ever try to install anything through Fink or Macports.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org