Forum: Ruby on Rails How to automatically Create a new page each day?

sayeo87 (Guest)

I'm completely new to Ruby and RoR and yet I have an assignment due in
less
than a week =( One part of the assignment states that my RoR app will
have
to create a new page each day. I'm wondering what is the best way to get
this done? Should there be a continuous process running on the server to
detect the start of a new day to create a page for that day or should it
be
more request-driven? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

> Hi,
>
> I'm completely new to Ruby and RoR and yet I have an assignment due in less
> than a week =( One part of the assignment states that my RoR app will have
> to create a new page each day. I'm wondering what is the best way to get
> this done? Should there be a continuous process running on the server to
> detect the start of a new day to create a page for that day or should it be
> more request-driven? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

I'd probably just have a cronjob that ran once a day.

Fred
Colin L. (Guest)
What do you mean by 'create a new page for each day'?
Colin

2009/5/19 Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
sanjib dhar (Guest)
My idea is

   1. put one shell script file to create the page which will run every
day
   at 12:01 am.
   2. name the file as today's date.
   3. display the file named as todays date.

Simple!!!!!
Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-05-19 19:53
Colin L. wrote:
> What do you mean by 'create a new page for each day'?
> Colin

This is the $64,000 question.  If "create a new page each day" just
means "respond to URLs with a date in them" or "display today's
content", then there is no need for a cron job and the date can just be
processed like any other parameter.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser