Forum: RSpec Using "return" in rspec test

Gary L. (Guest)

I am still new to rspec and I wonder if anyone can give me some insight
about the problem I have encountered.  I notice whenever I use "return"
in my test, it will skip all the examples and exit right out of my test
run.  Here is a small example that demonstrate the problem:

describe "This tests uses return in my code" do
  it "should print Hello" do
      puts "Hello"
      # skip some test scenario if product is in demo mode
      if @product.demoMode?
          return;
     else
       # rest of the test goes here.

  it "should print hi" do
      puts "hi"

With the above spec, the second "it should print hi" test will never get
executed.
I found it would be very useful to use "return" to skip some of the test
code if a particular scenario occurs.  So I wonder if I cannot use
"return" to achieve this, is there any way I can workaround it?

Thanks,

--Gary
Phlip (Guest)
Gary L. wrote:

> describe "This tests uses return in my code" do
>  it "should print Hello" do
>      puts "Hello"         # skip some test scenario if product is in
> demo mode
>      if @product.demoMode?
>          return;

use 'break'

(However, generally speaking, tests should either pass or fail, and they
should
not skip any blocks.)

--
   Phlip
BJ Clark (Guest)
On May 18, 2009, at 7:51 PM, Gary L. wrote:

>     puts "Hello"         # skip some test scenario if product is in
> end
Gary,
It's better to not have an if/else in a test.

Why not try:

describe "This tests uses return in my code" do

   context "in demo mode" do
     @product.stub!(:demoMode?).and_return(true)
     something.should be_true
   end