Forum: JRuby minimal jruby.jar

Michal Hantl (Guest)
Hello,
 I am working on a project that uses JRuby inside an applet to work
with JavaScript. I started taking parts of the jruby jar by commenting
line in the ant build.xml.

So far so good - size went down to 5297kB.

I want to go even further and remove all the parts one cannot use on
web and few other things to make the jar minimal.

So i went to the source and removed the 1.9 folder int the lib folder
and run ant clean jar and was very surprised to see that the size of
the jar was not chaged at all!

Could you guys shed some light on this please?

Also i was wandering if i could just use 1.9 version or 1.8 instead of
both, which could make the jar smaller. Or maybe 1.9 is an extension
to 1.8?

Thanks

--
S pozdravem, Regards
Michal Hantl

gtalk/jabber: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
icq: 241813215

The vanilla jruby.jar doesn't use compression to speed up build times.
You should be able to turn it on and get some more space out.

Logan B.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.logustus.com

On May 16, 2009, at 6:39 AM, Michal Hantl wrote:

> So i went to the source and removed the 1.9 folder int the lib folder

> The vanilla jruby.jar doesn't use compression to speed up build times. You
> should be able to turn it on and get some more space out.

Thanks for input, according to Ant and winrar the files should be
compressed.

So far i got to 4.3M and i think i can go under 4Megs easily.

Btw, do you know how to put my ruby files into the jar? I tried so
many possible ways, but when i require my file (json), the jar
pretends its not there.

For example i can require file builtin/jsignals.rb, but not any other
file i put in that direcory, such as the json.rb.

I am trying to make this work for coulpe of hours now so I will be
greateful for advice.

On May 16, 2009, at 9:36 AM, Michal Hantl wrote:

> Btw, do you know how to put my ruby files into the jar? I tried so
> many possible ways, but when i require my file (json), the jar
> pretends its not there.
>
> For example i can require file builtin/jsignals.rb, but not any other
> file i put in that direcory, such as the json.rb.
>
> I am trying to make this work for coulpe of hours now so I will be
> greateful for advice.

Monkeybars and Rawr have done a lot to solve problems with packaging/
deployment, and resolving files inside jars. Rawr is pretty general
purpose, so it may be useful to you out of the box (I think some
Applet love is being applied to it right now). Monkeybars may not fit
your needs, but it has some helpers that you can lift out that make
working with the load path a lot easier.

I'll eventually be lifting out the pieces of Monkeybars that makes
file/load path resolution easy and putting it into a common gem, but
don't wait on me if it's useful to you now.

http://rawr.rubyforge.org/
http://monkeybars.rubyforge.org/

Logan B.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.logustus.com

>> Thanks for input, according to Ant and winrar the files should be
>> file i put in that direcory, such as the json.rb.
> the load path a lot easier.
> http://www.logustus.com

Thanks for the info. I will try rawr and monkeybars.

Im pretty ashamed to admin what went wrong that day.. I was editing
different jar the whole time (several hours)!

On the minimal jar journey.. I wanted to take stuff out right in the
build.xml file so i can easily apply my build.xml file to new
releases.

I managed to remove some pieces there, other not. Will investigate it
further.