Forum: IronRuby aaah yes ... clr interop

Ivan P. (Guest)
I'm sorry I'll probably keep hitting all those points while I'm writing
integration specs.

Ok so would it be possible to have a way to configure the underlying
type
which methods it needs to redefine with a new operator
public class SomeClass{
    public void MyMethod(){
    }
}

public class Inheritor : SomeClass {
    public new void MyMethod(){
       //some new logic here
    }
}

something like

class Inheritor < SomeClass

  redef_method :my_method

end
Curt H. (Guest)
In principle, this is absolutely something that could be done (though I
wouldn’t expect we would do it any time soon).

*but*, this doesn’t do what I think you want. Previously-compiled calls
to SomeClass.MyMethod won’t actually end up going to Inheritor.MyMethod
even if the object is of type Inheritor. The base method would have to
be defined as “virtual”, or the new method will end up in a new slot on
the method table.

I'm sorry I'll probably keep hitting all those points while I'm writing
integration specs.

Ok so would it be possible to have a way to configure the underlying
type which methods it needs to redefine with a new operator

public class SomeClass{
    public void MyMethod(){
    }
}

public class Inheritor : SomeClass {
    public new void MyMethod(){
       //some new logic here
    }
}

something like

class Inheritor < SomeClass

  redef_method :my_method

---
Ivan Porto C.
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim
Ivan P. (Guest)
ok... makes sense. I'll add it to the distant future features list :)And
if
it doesn't actually really invoke the method on the Inheritor then the
redefine_method probably doesn't make much sense to implement.

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:31 PM, Curt H.

> I'm sorry I'll probably keep hitting all those points while I'm writing
>
>     public new void MyMethod(){
>
> end
> Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

---
Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

Yogi Berra <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/y/yogi_b...
-
"If you ask me anything I don't know, I'm not going to answer."