Forum: Ruby Ruby script to calculate Muslim prayer times

Redd V. (Guest)

does anybody know of a Ruby script to calculate Muslim prayer times?

Here's one that calculates Jewish prayer times:

http://pastie.org/477760
Kyle S. (Guest)
Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
time every day?

--Kyle
Redd V. (Guest)
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kyle S.

> Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
> time every day?
>
> --Kyle

I think it depends on the position of the moon and stuff, kinda like the
Jewish one uses the position of the sun.
Michael K. (Guest)
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM, Kyle S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Sorry, because I really don't know, but why wouldn't it be at the same
> time every day?

Because they depend on sunrise and sunset which are not at the same
time every day.

@Redd: Maybe look at this:
http://forums.mpadc.com/showthread.php/prayer-time...

There's a PHP script in this thread that scraps the times from some
website, this is probably really easy to copy with Ruby and Hpricot.
Kyle S. (Guest)
Local sunrise & sunset, or at a specific place (Mecca I'd assume)?

I think there are some astronomy & nasa pages that give some basic
formulas for that...humm.
Kyle S. (Guest)
This FAA site has an online calculator (you could always read through
the javascript):
http://akweathercams.faa.gov/srsscalc.php

And here's  a site with the formulas (at a glance I'd say grab a cup
of coffee & a quite corner this weekend if you really want to
understand it) :
http://herbert.gandraxa.com/herbert/lod.asp
Redd V. (Guest)
On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Redd V.

> --
> http://www.home.no/reddvinylene

Sorry for the mixup. The moon is used to calculate fasting times I
think?